Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL_new.jpg
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Thanks for all the replies. I will be doing this and see how it goes on my next brew day.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I’m wanting to brew a Weiss this weekend and want to properly measure/test efficiency etc. of my setup. Does anyone have experience with Beerlab’s all grain Weiss kit? That seems like the easiest option at this stage…

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
          I’m wanting to brew a Weiss this weekend and want to properly measure/test efficiency etc. of my setup. Does anyone have experience with Beerlab’s all grain Weiss kit? That seems like the easiest option at this stage…
          I'd also like to know...
          I had a look at it but decided to get my malts individually from Brewcraft and sourced Liquid Culture's LC-012 DIY Weizen. Going to make a Weihenstephaner clone without the decoction mashing.
          https://recipe.brewfather.app/n9KyCF...HE9GWxvHNg7BDW

I've read quite a bit of people say the decoction mashing isn't needed anymore these days since the malts are highly modified.
          If anyone here as tried doing it and has feedback on whether it was worth the extra +-3 hours, I'd appreciate it
          CaPunT
          Last edited by CaPunT; 5 October 2020, 14:58. Reason: formatting

Comment

I’m wanting to brew a Weiss this weekend and want to properly measure/test efficiency etc. of my setup. Does anyone have experience with Beerlab’s all grain Weiss kit? That seems like the easiest option at this stage…
            What malts and from which maltser are the grains from, you need this so you can find out what the PPG of each malt is. Alternatively you need to take the general PPG value for each type of malt, from this you can at least get a ball park figure for efficiency.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I've never heard of anybody who isn't a complete maniac for tradition that has ever done a decoction.

I did it once for a Belgian strong, but it was actually because of a cock up with kettle sizes and the amount of wort.

Comment

• So does that mean just a straight single temp mash in, or a stepped mash but without the decoction palaver?

I'm a teeny bit concerned about the stepped mashes in the urn - I've read several accounts of flour burning onto elements etc...

Comment

So does that mean just a straight single temp mash in, or a stepped mash but without the decoction palaver?

I'm a teeny bit concerned about the stepped mashes in the urn - I've read several accounts of flour burning onto elements etc...
                  All my brews in my CaterPride urn have had 2 mash steps (60min @65 and 15min @75 mash out) no issues with burning/scorching.
                  There is somewhat of a white caking on the element after the boil, similar to limescale in a kettle, but it cleans off easily with a Scotch-brite.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the best mash profile to use for my Weiss, but it will likely involve some more steps... (this is the first time i will be doing an AG Weiss )

Comment

• The only beer ive ever needed to step mash i asked a friend with a GF to brew. I dont even mash out. I used to brew with a LPG burner so steps were risky. Snd now with the urn i dint feel the need. Well not yet anyway

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mmmh - maybe introducing the stepped mash is a bit counter intuitive if I want to brew something to get a better understanding of my setups efficiency and numbers... I don't want to cock up / skip a step, which then stuffs up the efficiency... Maybe something simpler is more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• If you going to do the Beerlab kit, just follow the steps they have inside the kit ?

If the steps don't call for step mashes, then there you go

Or am I stepping over the line here
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• step mashing...meh. i do it cause i can, not that i need to. i do like a short low mash and a longer higher mash - maximum effort (fermentability) it does take a bit longer as you need to heat up a few c's. it really depends how lus i feel

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            I sometimes don't even clean my boiling/mashing vessels if I'm lazy. It's annoying next time I get to it, but eh, I don't worry about it too much. I do this to enjoy it, not to torture myself

oof. that's something i can't do - leave stuff mank, my future self always thanks my past self for not being lazy. makes life easier

Comment

• Yeah it doesn't happen often, but when it does I always kick myself. When it's clean I enjoy a brew day more. No wiping everything with a wet cloth and then having to wait for it to all soften up. As a PS - I never let it go "manky". It's always stored dry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                Yeah it doesn't happen often, but when it does I always kick myself. When it's clean I enjoy a brew day more. No wiping everything with a wet cloth and then having to wait for it to all soften up. As a PS - I never let it go "manky". It's always stored dry.
                                I suppose living at the coast has it's negatives, there's no way I could, if I wanted to, leave things out. Even for a week.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X