No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BIAB kettle gets a proper pressure wash immediately after I transfer for fermentation.

Comment

• So, about buying grain in bulk.
      How long can one store grain in bulk (crushed, as I don't have my own mill) at home, and under what conditions ideally?
      Also, does crushing it beforehand make much of a difference in how long it can be stored?

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
        So, about buying grain in bulk.
        How long can one store grain in bulk (crushed, as I don't have my own mill) at home, and under what conditions ideally?
        Also, does crushing it beforehand make much of a difference in how long it can be stored?
        YES

Malts
        The primary enemy to stored grains is moisture. While the first inclination to store malt may be to refrigerate or freeze it, these environments usually have a higher moisture content than open air and will actually be more detrimental! Instead, grains should be kept in a dry environment with limited temperature fluctuation, around 50–70 °F (10–21 °C). Store the grains in the original packaging until opened, and then in an airtight container for best results. In addition to temperature considerations, storage should also be in an area with low-humidity and free from pests (mice, insects, etc.) that may be interested in a snack.

When purchasing grains that will be stored, the best option is to purchase them un-milled and wait until brew day to crush the amount you will need for that batch. Humidity will have a greater, and quicker, impact on milled grains — however if properly stored, milled base malt should still be good for 6 months with minimal depreciation. Longer than that and you should expect a loss of aroma, however the malt will likely still be OK to use if kept dry.

Bags of bulk-purchased grains often have a “best by” date printed on them. This date should be observed, however the grains may still be suitable past this date. If you question the quality of the grains, the best test is to taste them. Grab a small handful of grains and chew on them. If they do not taste stale or have a mealy texture, than the grain should be fine.
        LINK @ BYO
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
          So, about buying grain in bulk.
          brulosophy did an xbmt on this - but iirc milled malts kept over 6 months were imperceptibly unchanged compared to freshly milled. various opinions ;-)

http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/29/the-impact-of-age-on-crushed-malt-exbeeriment-result

i dont see how you'll be able to store it for more than a few months, a 25kg bag is 5 or 6 brews.
          groenspookasem
          Banned
          Last edited by groenspookasem; 15 October 2020, 10:13.

Comment

• Uncrushed malts should keep about 2 years. Crushed, I see manufacturers recommend 3 months, but I've also used malts a lot older than that with no ill effect before I got my mill.

Comment

• Thanks gents.
              Obviously the idea is not to store it but it's good to know that if I have to, I'll be okay for a while and not let it go to waste.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Uncrushed malts should keep about 2 years. Crushed, I see manufacturers recommend 3 months, but I've also used malts a lot older than that with no ill effect before I got my mill.
                What he said ^^^

I have malts that are close to 2 years old. Keep them DRY.

Comment

• I have also not seen batch dates on these re-packaged malts.. guess is they are older than 2 years when you buy them

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                    I have also not seen batch dates on these re-packaged malts.. guess is they are older than 2 years when you buy them
                    where do you buy from, what malts?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      where do you buy from, what malts?
                      No I am just saying how do you validate how old they are when you buy less than 25kg? If you store it for 2 years, it is likely older than that already.

Comment

• I did some extensive reading up about exactly this a few weeks ago and it's exactly as the rest have said, if you store crushed grains well sealed in cool, dark storage, it will last 6 months no problem.
                        That's why I ended up ordering about 20Kg's worth of crushed malts so that I can try various things without having to order and collect or pay for delivery each time.

Comment

• I'm busy doing some research to see what I should brew as a first real brew (previously only brewed extract). My research has sort of pointed me in the direction of an APA. So now I'm wondering if there are other options wrt yeast, from what I've got so far. My best and almost only option would be Safale US-05 because of the ideal ferment temp range of 18-28 and the fact that I don't have the facilities to ferment at any other temp than ambient temp in Pretoria.

Then I also need you guys to take a wild guess if you don't mind lol. I'm trying to build a recipe op BrewersFriend website and it needs a Brewhouse Efficiency. I'll be doing this brew in a urn using BIAB. Would an efficiency of 60% with pretty much no experience be too high, or is it a safe place to start?

Is it advisable to try a SMaSH for a first try to keep things really simple?

Any suggestions and advice is gladly appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            I'm busy doing some research to see what I should brew as a first real brew (previously only brewed extract). My research has sort of pointed me in the direction of an APA. So now I'm wondering if there are other options wrt yeast, from what I've got so far. My best and almost only option would be Safale US-05 because of the ideal ferment temp range of 18-28 and the fact that I don't have the facilities to ferment at any other temp than ambient temp in Pretoria.

Then I also need you guys to take a wild guess if you don't mind lol. I'm trying to build a recipe op BrewersFriend website and it needs a Brewhouse Efficiency. I'll be doing this brew in a urn using BIAB. Would an efficiency of 60% with pretty much no experience be too high, or is it a safe place to start?

Is it advisable to try a SMaSH for a first try to keep things really simple?

Any suggestions and advice is gladly appreciated
                            60 is definitely a good place to start. I got less than that on my first two brews (~53%) but then haven't I haven't gotten less than 65% since improving my processes if that helps.
                            One thing i can suggest if you want to be sure to up the % a bit, keep 5L of your total volume to use for sparging - that is a great way up your efficiency(mash).
                            I put a large colander over my urn, put the bag in it and rinse the grains with near boiling water.

I jumped straight in with an APA myself, was looking to do a SMaSH but had wheat as well so thought "stuff it" and made up a recipe including it.
                            I then worked on the same base recipe improving it over another 3 brews. Started adding crystals and using other brands of Pale malts, more hops, etc.

HTH!

Comment

• Sorry if it has been asked before.
                              Is it better to get a CO2 bottle that is purpose made, or will a CO2 extinguisher work as well as?
                              Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                              Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Everyone uses an extinguisher. Having said that probably 1 guy wil now prove me wrong.
                                60% is fine and apa is cool. Smash later once you know your process

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X