Page 1 of 110 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Random small questions

In the past i've often wanted to ask a question bit do not want to create a new thread for something trivial. Maybe this thread can help?
    If you have a simple question that does not require in depth responses or debates, post them here.

I've got one. Why should I only use vodka or sanitiser in my airlock. Whats wrong with using brandy or whiskey?
    I've been told to never use those, but not given a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtronSeige
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Why should I only use vodka or sanitiser in my airlock. Whats wrong with using brandy or whiskey?
    I've been told to never use those, but not given a reason.
    During the process, some of the liquid may end up in the fermenter. So, if you are brewing a light lager, then something like brandy/whiskey flavors might come through.

That being said, I doubt that a tot or two of any of those will be detectable in a 18 liter batch.

RDWHAHB.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

During my first 2 years of brewing i only used RUM as that's the only "hard liquor" I had on hand, and I prefered that above Iodophor in the airlock
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I use vodka because I don't mind wasting a couple of tots of vodka......

I use sanitizer in mine and nothing ever goes wrong. I have sanitizer already made in a bucket when brewing, so I might as well use that. (I must say I always make a fresh batch of sanitizer, and have heard of people making a huge batch and just adding new sanitizer to the old batch when having to use it. I don't trust this, there must be some form of chemical buildup in there I'm sure.) I know of a LHBS that does this.

I have 20L of Starsan pre-mixed in a bucket. I soak my beer lines and couplers and taps in the bucket then rinse and flush before using.

Now that might not be perfect, but it's better than letting the beer congeal and rot between festivals like I've seen some commercial craft brewers do...........

Craft beer bottles i keep for homebrew. However, if the label does not come off with hot water and soak, i chuck them in the bin. Darling Brew comes to mind.
    Grolch bottles are my testers. Normally fill about 4 of them per batch. Will open 1st one at 10 days, second one at 2 week, then 20 days. Or experimental brews goes into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, good idea Pretorjn ;-) I should stop collecting 6 of each bottle thinking I will use them in future and just stick with 330 and 440 ml bottles, but I also like those nice and tall 500 ml And Union bottles

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
    I value your experience more than your opinion - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

So my random question.
    I have a stainless fermenter that I've cleaned after my last brew day. My problem is that it still has a light fruity odour. Have you guys experienced the same?Planning to do a caustic wash over the weekend to see if I can get it odourless.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    So my random question.
    I have a stainless fermenter that I've cleaned after my last brew day. My problem is that it still has a light fruity odour. Have you guys experienced the same?Planning to do a caustic wash over the weekend to see if I can get it odourless.
    I caustic then acid wash always.

Odour implies residual organic matter.