Page 191 of 200 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 1999

Im not a boffin on 04. @Toxyc will be the best to give advice on that specific yeast. But on 05. I stick it at 18c for a view days and then 2c. I dont ramp it up and down or do steps. I like the simple approach

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

For an ale I usually set the temp in the middle of the range of the yeast and leave it there till end of fermentation
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    My quick question is around controlling fermentation temp. Using a basic ale yeast as example (Safale US05 or S04) Would you set the temp around 18 degrees on day 1 after pitching, and then raise it each day after by a degree until it's in the middle of the ideal ferm temp range? Or leave it on the lower spectrum and raise it near the end of fermentation in order to clean up?
    There's a different process between ale yeasts and lager yeast. Generally ale yeasts ferment at higher temeratures than lager yeasts. Ale typically round 18-20C and lager yeasts round 10-12C. There is no need to ramp up tems for ale yeasts as they are already at a high enough temperature to clean up afterwards - dyacityl and those things.

For lager yeast a bit different story - these require temperature which is generally lower (to get a cleaner taste - which you want for a lager style), because the low temperatures the yeast biology is much slower.. cleaning up will also occur at lower temps but is much slower .. hence a temperature ramp at the end of fermentation to speed up the cleaning process.

I ferment US-05 at 18C for 10 days, then drop to 10 and add gelatine, then drop to 2C for couple days to a week then bottle. S-04 likes it around 20-22C.
    For lager yeasts like W34/70 I typically start at 9C for 3 days, then ramp 0.5C per day till 14C, then 1C per day till 16, then to 10C add gelatine, then cold crash. These are my schedules that seems to work just fine for me and getting good results and clean tasting beers.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Hey Guys!

Exciting day today. I finally got my fermentation chamber setup (STC-1000 + Chest freezer + Reptile Pad). My controller finally arrived via Ebay after a year.

My quick question is around controlling fermentation temp. Using a basic ale yeast as example (Safale US05 or S04) Would you set the temp around 18 degrees on day 1 after pitching, and then raise it each day after by a degree until it's in the middle of the ideal ferm temp range? Or leave it on the lower spectrum and raise it near the end of fermentation in order to clean up?

Obviously the temp will affect what type of flavour profile you achieve, but I'm more so asking as a general guideline what the usual process is to ensure a clean and consistent ferment?

Thanks for any replies guys. Brewing a Milk Stout tomorrow with some Safale S04 (First time using this yeast, always just stuck to US05 for most of my ales). Excited to put the ferm chamber to use in this cold weather here in Jozi
    You can set it to 18 and leave it there till end of fermentation (10-14 days)

I used to do 19C on all my Ales with both S04 and US05

These days i do them all at 30C with Oslo
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Me again

OK, so I have been priming individually in each bottle, not something I want to continue doing...

Scenario. My cream ale target was 23l in fermenter (which I hit 100% and OG was perfect). My fermenter holds around 23 (one of those nfp buckets). When I tapped into my fermenter the foam was too much so I stopped around 22l.

This will be my first time racking to secondary, bought myself a nice auto siphon to make things easier.

Looking at the calculator on brewfather, I will do 137 of dextrose for 20l bottled?

And the way to do it, 250ml water, boil and then add sugar, stir, add to bottling bucket and then siphon the beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the way to do it, 250ml water, boil and then add sugar, stir, add to bottling bucket and then siphon the beer?
    that's how i did it back in the day yes
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yup, amount of sugar looks good for the volumes of carbonation vs quantity of beer.
    I dont specifically use 250ml to dissolve the sugar but its always somewhere in the ballpark.

Just pour it into your bottling bucket and then rack the beer over it nice and gently, you dont want to oxygenate the beer.

Appreciate all the replies guys!

I've popped it into the freezer now set to 17C and will monitor it from there. Might move it up to 19C after a few days to try extract a bit more of the plum flavours I've heard about for the stout and see how it turns out.

A while ago i was moaning about david heaths monotone and someone. I think it was Jigsaw. Said i should watch him at 1.5x speed. At this point i didn't even know that was something you xan do! ITS COMPLETELY CHANGED THE WAY I CONSUME MEDIA! thanks man. I use 1.25 moat of the time. But david at 1.5x. Love you man.

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    A while ago i was moaning about david heaths monotone and someone. I think it was Jigsaw. Said i should watch him at 1.5x speed. At this point i didn't even know that was something you xan do! ITS COMPLETELY CHANGED THE WAY I CONSUME MEDIA! thanks man. I use 1.25 moat of the time. But david at 1.5x. Love you man.

George Duncan can go at 2x