Page 196 of 200 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 1999

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    This is the link I based my initial gelatine fining procedure .. but didn't like that fact that they don't suggest pre-boiling the water (to sterilise) prior applying gelatine - or does 30sec microwave burts sterilise ? dunno.
    but why? ... why don't you trust the water coming from your taps?

I've never boiled mine for gelatine
    I've never boiled mine for priming solution when I used to bottle.
    I've never boiled mine when making beer from a tin during the first few years.

but heating it above 65C should put your mind at ease
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Getting back to the drinking glasses ... I was all mine in the dishwasher and have no problem with head retention.

Those that get a residue on their glasses or other dishes has a serious problem and should investigate the cleanliness of the inside of that machine
    Glasses are crystal clean its the bottles that get the odd few dots of soap in them, also you shouldnt really wash good quality crystal glasses in a dishwasher. Its fine for your everyday glasses though.

I think it puts my mind at ease when I preboil the water.
    Straight from the tap ? urggh dunno.. will the chlorine kill all the baddies?
    65C is pasturising .. right?
    So? why boil wort then?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    I think it puts my mind at ease when I preboil the water.
    Straight from the tap ? urggh dunno.. will the chlorine kill all the baddies?
    65C is pasturising .. right?
    So? why boil wort then?
    It boils in the microwave after 2 mins and still works as well.

Gelatin does work better when heated tho, but not sure where the 65c came from.

Ive used gelatin plenty times making desserts and usually bloomed in room temp water and mixed in with hot sauce that needed to be thickened.

Personally I agree with Jigs but 2 minutes in the microwave is cheap insurance to make sure and it anyways needs to be heated up to work optimally.

So most references i see say you have to heat it. And i dont know where 65c is. Im definitely not going to go fetch my stc for this. I do know what boiling water looks like though. So i do that. It works.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So? why boil wort then?
    Who said you must

raw-ale
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Random small questions

I just can't catch a break it seems...

I made a cream ale about 10 days ago, OG was perfect, FG today was 1006 (target was 1009), so decided to bottle (tastes great).

Very excited to use my new auto siphon from cactus craft, I boiled my sugar, added it to my bottling bucket, put my siphon in beer and started pumping, worked for about 10 minutes (very slowly) and then I could see lots of bubbles coming through until is stopped... I tried to get it going again but every time I pump I made loads of bubbles in both my fermenter beer and beer that was already pumped in bucket. Did this 4-5 times and then decided to just get a tube and drain from the tap.

Should I worry about oxygenation in my beer? I did bottle everything.

Would be such a shame if this goes bad...

Had a closer look at the auto siphon afterwards and it looks like the seal at the bottom is broken, hopefully cactus can send me a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chris_za1; 20th July 2021 at 22:33.

Who said you must

raw-ale
    Raw ales taste, well, raw. I made a Vienna Lager with the "raw ale" method and it's the only beer where I ever had a strong grass/hay taste in my beer. I used good malts and hops, and it tasted like that smell you get when you open a hay store on a farm. Exactly like that.

Never again. It works, but never again, for me personally.

Getting back to the drinking glasses ... I was all mine in the dishwasher and have no problem with head retention.
    It had to do with long-term exposure, so you wouldn't see it in a small amount of time the beer spends in the glass. Remember a lot of soaps contain stuff like enzymes that break down certain things. If just one thing breaks down the proteins that give our beer foam, you won't have head retention for shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_za1 View Post
    I just can't catch a break it seems...

I made a cream ale about 10 days ago, OG was perfect, FG today was 1006 (target was 1009), so decided to bottle (tastes great).

Very excited to use my new auto siphon from cactus craft, I boiled my sugar, added it to my bottling bucket, put my siphon in beer and started pumping, worked for about 10 minutes (very slowly) and then I could see lots of bubbles coming through until is stopped... I tried to get it going again but every time I pump I made loads of bubbles in both my fermenter beer and beer that was already pumped in bucket. Did this 4-5 times and then decided to just get a tube and drain from the tap.

Should I worry about oxygenation in my beer? I did bottle everything.

Would be such a shame if this goes bad...

Had a closer look at the auto siphon afterwards and it looks like the seal at the bottom is broken, hopefully cactus can send me a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cactus Craft will most probably send you a new one. Willie and Anel there are caring toward their customers.

Regarding the beer - don't worry about it. I've had beer exposed to oxygen a lot more and it turned out fine. I personally believe people stress too much over oxygen in certain beers - like a cream ale. It's not a very hop forward beer, so don't worry about it :P