Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1034

Quote Originally Posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
    I have searched the forum and web, couldnít find anything.

Can someone please tell me how to use caustic soda to clean my urn. Just use rubber gloves?

Read somewhere it will kill/remove proteins/tannins if present. Cant find that anymore

Or is there a better option that wonít they to kill me while cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a very in depth blog on this, but when it comes up in the search, the link doesnt seem to open. Seems to have been deleted?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Random small questions

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    There was a very in depth blog on this, but when it comes up in the search, the link doesnt seem to open. Seems to have been deleted?
    Yes, I came across the link in another thread, I believe it was by [mention]Atronsiege [/mention] but canít open it anymore thank you
    Last edited by HAP-BR3W; 12th January 2021 at 07:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    Rather use PBW or oxygenated cleaner.

https://www.silicone.co.za/y-clean-2...manufacturing/
    Thanks, will see if i can get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I came across the link in another thread, I believe it was by [mention]Atronsiege [/mention] but canít open it anymore thank you
    Thats the one. Hmmmmm, maybe when you deactivate your account, all your blogs disappear.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Can someone please tell me how to use caustic soda to clean my urn. Just use rubber gloves?
    I never use caustic on my urn. I spray it off with a pressure washer and occasionally scrub it down with a nylon abrasive pad. Caustic attacks various metals aggressively, and will completely destroy softer alloys and cast iron. I only use caustic soda to clean my fermenters and my stainless steel kegs.

Also be very careful of any detergents that aren't meant for brewing as they will leave a residue that will affect the beer flavour.

Since your urn runs between 70 and 100 degrees, there are very few nasties that stay behind as long as you rinse the urn and the tape IMMEDIATELY after brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    A very precise 1 candle per vessel. But obviously vessel size needs to be carefully sized at between 1L and 50L
    I've just stuck 1 of these in my 25kg bag sitting on the bar counter. :shrug:

Couldn't find my ruler so used what was on hand
    1.jpg
    Last edited by BruHaha; 12th January 2021 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I never use caustic on my urn. I spray it off with a pressure washer and occasionally scrub it down with a nylon abrasive pad. Caustic attacks various metals aggressively, and will completely destroy softer alloys and cast iron. I only use caustic soda to clean my fermenters and my stainless steel kegs.

Also be very careful of any detergents that aren't meant for brewing as they will leave a residue that will affect the beer flavour.

Since your urn runs between 70 and 100 degrees, there are very few nasties that stay behind as long as you rinse the urn and the tape IMMEDIATELY after brewing.
    Thanks, will avoid caustic, probably better to avoid getting injured. Going to try the PBW from Y-Clean on all my equipment.

When you say tape, do you mean tap?

I've been advised and have been using Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning my ss kettle. It works .. but rather slowly.
    btw .. sodium percarb .. is that the same as washing soda?
    Let me google...

EDIT:
    "The chemical formula for washing soda is Na2CO3 or sodium carbonate. It's a salt of carbonic acid, a chemical that produces a wide range of salts collectively known as carbonates."

"Sodium percarbonate is a chemical substance with formula Na2H3CO. It is an adduct of sodium carbonate ("soda ash" or "washing soda") and hydrogen peroxide (that is, a perhydrate) whose formula is more properly written as Na2CO3H2O. It is a colorless, crystalline, hygroscopic and water-soluble solid. It is sometimes abbreviated as SPC. It contains 32.5% by weight of hydrogen peroxide."

there you have it.
    Sodium percarbonate is washing soda mixed with hydrogen PERoxide.

EDIT2: Formatting
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 12th January 2021 at 09:56.

I have searched the forum and web, couldnít find anything.

Read somewhere it will kill/remove proteins/tannins if present. Cant find that anymore

Or is there a better option that wonít try to kill me while cleaning?

Edit: fixed to not look like a drunk was typing
    http://kegsolutions.co.za/caustic-soda-cleaning/

But like said already, Sodium Percarbonate should be fine ... I've been using it as in forever
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Also been using Sodium Percarbonate for a long time, it works fine.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer