Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 LastLast

i used to use a big syringe with an extension, sanitized of course. these days i use time and rarely check fg before kegging. i'll run a sample post kegging from the 'leftovers' if i'm bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    i used to use a big syringe with an extension, sanitized of course. these days i use time and rarely check fg before kegging. i'll run a sample post kegging from the 'leftovers' if i'm bothered.
    Likewise, I leave my beers in the fermenter for a minimum of 2 weeks before racking into a bottling bucket. Except for Voss brews of course

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    What would the best way to get a sample for testing the gravity? I've used the tap on my FV and also opened it with one of my beers to see what's happening. Maybe my beer is so crap that the infections don't get noticed
    Im also at the point where I never check periodically ... I can judge visually when it's done fermenting and then I usually leave it a little longer for "clean-up". On kegging day I quickly pop the hydrometer straight into the bucket before siphoning to keg just to get a average on the SG.

PS: I hate taps (Siphon FTW)
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

With my last beer I also didn't bother to check the fg, in fact I forgot to check the sg also. But I just want beer to drink and not too worried about abv really. When I have things under control and know a little more, I might start checking so that I can make a light abv beer in the 3-3.5% range. My biggest worry is to no create bottle bombs, so I wait for the airlock to slow down to one bubble a minute or so. Then wait a few days.

I will also take things a little more serious when starting my all grain journey to figure out what my efficiencies are.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

Tap works, sanitised turkey baster is also an option.
    That said, my hydrometer broke 7 minths ago so currently I just check SG with refractometer and leave wort in fermenter for two to three weeks. I've had non issues...

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

[QUOTE=Andreas;31961]
    That said, my hydrometer broke 7 minths ago

/QUOTE]

All of us! Maybe we should ask: the longest your hygrometer has lasted? 1y5m

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    What would the best way to get a sample for testing the gravity? I've used the tap on my FV and also opened it with one of my beers to see what's happening. Maybe my beer is so crap that the infections don't get noticed
    iSpindel is my new best friend. I don't use it for absolute values and correctness, but as a guide to when fermentation is finished, it's freaking brilliant- it's also more accurate than I would care to give credit, but caution says not to rely on it for absolute values.

Oh right, I have two of those. I should really set it up and hook it into brewfather...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jannieverjaar;31963]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    That said, my hydrometer broke 7 minths ago

/QUOTE]

All of us! Maybe we should ask: the longest your hygrometer has lasted? 1y5m

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    3 years. 1 year. 2 years. 1 month...

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

[QUOTE=Andreas;31970]
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    3 years. 1 year. 2 years. 1 month...

George from YT channel 'Barley and Hops Brewing' says: If you buy one hydrometer it breaks in a day, buy two ... they never break.