No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it have to be modified, or can it be used as is?
    Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Everyone uses an extinguisher. Having said that probably 1 guy wil now prove me wrong.
    60% is fine and apa is cool. Smash later once you know your process

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Modified is a strong word. You have to remove the discharge nozzle at the attachment to the handle and fit a regulator or you will blow up your keg

Comment

• i have 2x 2kgs. one on the line and a full one waiting in the wings. nothing worse than running out of gas. it will happen only once though, on a long weekend right after you kegged. that's when you buy the second one :-) remember to refill it once it's empty or you'll have two empty cylinders and no beer. also dont forget your check valve or you'll eventually strip and clean the regulator (easy)

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
          60 is definitely a good place to start. I got less than that on my first two brews (~53%) but then haven't I haven't gotten less than 65% since improving my processes if that helps.
          One thing i can suggest if you want to be sure to up the % a bit, keep 5L of your total volume to use for sparging - that is a great way up your efficiency(mash).
          I put a large colander over my urn, put the bag in it and rinse the grains with near boiling water.

I jumped straight in with an APA myself, was looking to do a SMaSH but had wheat as well so thought "stuff it" and made up a recipe including it.
          I then worked on the same base recipe improving it over another 3 brews. Started adding crystals and using other brands of Pale malts, more hops, etc.

HTH!
          Thanks

Everyone uses an extinguisher. Having said that probably 1 guy wil now prove me wrong.
          60% is fine and apa is cool. Smash later once you know your process

Thanks

Comment

• Thank you.
            Modified is a strong word. You have to remove the discharge nozzle at the attachment to the handle and fit a regulator or you will blow up your keg

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
              I'm busy doing some research to see what I should brew as a first real brew (previously only brewed extract). My research has sort of pointed me in the direction of an APA. So now I'm wondering if there are other options wrt yeast, from what I've got so far. My best and almost only option would be Safale US-05 because of the ideal ferment temp range of 18-28 and the fact that I don't have the facilities to ferment at any other temp than ambient temp in Pretoria.

Then I also need you guys to take a wild guess if you don't mind lol. I'm trying to build a recipe op BrewersFriend website and it needs a Brewhouse Efficiency. I'll be doing this brew in a urn using BIAB. Would an efficiency of 60% with pretty much no experience be too high, or is it a safe place to start?

Is it advisable to try a SMaSH for a first try to keep things really simple?

Any suggestions and advice is gladly appreciated
              Skip 05 get a Kveik!! it's a machine and just doesn't care about anything. Best part it likes extreme abuse, High temps, under pitching and repitching, I mean what more do you want. get one pack and use it till you die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                Skip 05 get a Kveik!! it's a machine and just doesn't care about anything. Best part it likes extreme abuse, High temps, under pitching and repitching, I mean what more do you want. get one pack and use it till you die.
                +1

Harvest during krausen, save trub or cultivate more, doesn't matter how, it just keeps going.

I bought 1x LC Ragnarok and 1x LC Midbust in Jan and have made about 12 beers between them and still have plenty in the fridge.
                I make a nice starter and store them in 25ml vials for later use. they normally have about 5ml of yeast in them which is enough.
                I gave a mate of mine a vial which had about 3.5ml of Midbust in, and his pale ale took off like a rocket.
                1 teaspoon/5ml works like a charm. If you really want it to decimate your wort, make a starter first!

PS: Save yourself the frustration and fit a blow off tube - airlocks are a bitch to clean

Comment

• Sounds like Kveik is the way to go then, thanks guys.

Now I have another silly noob question. When I have a recipe and it says for example 2 kg Caramalt and 250g Pils or whatever. Do I need to take a full kg of of the smaller quantities, or do the shops do the recipe and charge according to what they used? Or do you buy full kg's and build your own recipe? Feels like I've never made beer, everything is new to me now

Comment

• You have options. They do have pre packaged 1kg bags. Or you can ask them to mill you any quantity and bag it. What i mostly do is to send them the recipe and get it all in 1 bag. Milled and ready. But if you brew often buying bags of malt gives you freedom to brew what you want wen you want.

Comment

• I've gotten malt from stores that only do a minimum of 1Kg increments. Check the online shop of the store closest to you and you can see how they sell them.

For specialty malts I only get 1Kg of each since they last much longer, but buying 6Kg+ of Base malts(pale ale, pilsner, wheat, etc) ensures enough stock for brewing another batch(i do 15-21L batches) without having to order and pay/collect again.

Comment

• Perhaps easiest as it's your first all grain brew is to buy a premix grainbill from your local homebrew store (LHBS) and use their recommended hops and yeast along you'll get procedures for the recipe.

E.g my LHBS is BeerGuevara in CPT have 15litre grainbill options and have a variety to choose from.
                        https://beerguevara.com/product-category/premixes/

For first timers don't get anything that needs lagering. APA is probably easiest.

I like this one:
                        https://beerguevara.com/take-it-easy-session-pale-ale/
                        AlexBrew
                        Last edited by AlexBrew; 16 October 2020, 18:17. Reason: details added

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                          No I am just saying how do you validate how old they are when you buy less than 25kg? If you store it for 2 years, it is likely older than that already.
                          most brewing shops have a very high turnover, I doubt age is an issue, but you can ask them for the batch label and they should be able to comply

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone uses an extinguisher.
                          Yep, but always with a proper CO2 regulator.

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            Sounds like Kveik is the way to go then, thanks guys.

Now I have another silly noob question. When I have a recipe and it says for example 2 kg Caramalt and 250g Pils or whatever. Do I need to take a full kg of of the smaller quantities, or do the shops do the recipe and charge according to what they used? Or do you buy full kg's and build your own recipe? Feels like I've never made beer, everything is new to me now
                            I don't recall seeing a LHBS that sells malt under 1KG ... so we usually buy the full KG... use what you need for the recipe and keep the rest for next time. Before I used to only have them mill what I need and then next time they mill what I bring them, but these days I let them mill the full KG as i will use it before it will get old.
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewmart and National Foods used to back before the lockdown...
                              Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              I don't recall seeing a LHBS that sells malt under 1KG ... so we usually buy the full KG... use what you need for the recipe and keep the rest for next time. Before I used to only have them mill what I need and then next time they mill what I bring them, but these days I let them mill the full KG as i will use it before it will get old.

Comment

• They still do- Brewmart at least. You can buy in 0.1kg increments.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X