Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
    Now that it's winter, I'm assuming bottle carbing/conditioning will take longer? I should probably move them into a warmer room and not keep them in the 18 degree corner where they are now?

If you not in a rush 18 deg is pretty decent should be carbed in a week to 1.5

Comment

• 18 degrees is fine for carbonation. Remember the yeast eats through that little bit of sugar probably in a matter of 3~4 days. The rest of the time the beer should just absorb the CO2, and that's about it.

Comment

• I am not so lucky, cabonation for me is as below.
        More than 30 deg takes about a week.
        25 deg takes about 2 weeks
        18 deg takes about 3 weeks
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Weird. Most of my beers are carbonated fine after 5~7 days in the bottle. The carbonation gets finer with time, yes, but they're good to drink only a few days later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
            Can you share a pic of your setup? I guess you had te get seal for the inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            It's nothing fancy really and I don't use the urn for brewing since I purchased my Grainfather.
            I use it as a sparge water heater now (way overkill in size) since I absolutely destroyed my sparge water heater

urn_ball_valve_outside.jpgurn_ball_valve_inside.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
              It's nothing fancy really and I don't use the urn for brewing since I purchased my Grainfather.
              I use it as a sparge water heater now (way overkill in size) since I absolutely destroyed my sparge water heater

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3290[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3291[/ATTACH]
              Where did you get those tap nipples (is that what you call it?) from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
                Where did you get those tap nipples (is that what you call it?) from?

Everything stainless steel was bought from NDE (except for the washers). They call it a swage nipple.

Edit to add:
                This is what I was quoted for and paid, Oct 2020
                nde_quote.png
                SykomantiS
                Last edited by SykomantiS; 6 May 2021, 09:25. Reason: added quote

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3290[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3291[/ATTACH]
                  Looks very similar to my setup, barrel nipple between the ball valve and 90deg elbow with washers on both ends.
                  The standard hole does need to be enlarged a bit to fit the 1/2" nipple.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                    If you not in a rush 18 deg is pretty decent should be carbed in a week to 1.5
                    I checked this morning and overnight temps went down to 16. Not in a rush, but I had a week old taster last night and it was rather flat. Just thought temps might have something to do with it. Will give it a blanky :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      Weird. Most of my beers are carbonated fine after 5~7 days in the bottle. The carbonation gets finer with time, yes, but they're good to drink only a few days later.

The norm is 2 - 3 weeks, depending on the beer.
                      So from my point of view it is weird that yours are carbonated so quickly.
                      Good luck to you then.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        The norm is 2 - 3 weeks, depending on the beer.
                        So from my point of view it is weird that yours are carbonated so quickly.
                        Good luck to you then.
                        Oh I'm sure it takes longer, I just always found mine to carbonate fast. Not sure if others have the same thing. Time helps though.

For example a Helles I bottled 3 from on Monday was already showing good signs of carbonation yesterday afternoon when I checked the bottles. Stored cool, at room temp. I'll pop one in the fridge tomorrow morning to see how it is tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

• Keg your beers you bloody amateurs!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            Oh I'm sure it takes longer, I just always found mine to carbonate fast. Not sure if others have the same thing. Time helps though.

For example a Helles I bottled 3 from on Monday was already showing good signs of carbonation yesterday afternoon when I checked the bottles. Stored cool, at room temp. I'll pop one in the fridge tomorrow morning to see how it is tomorrow afternoon.
                            For ales with US-05 I find that drinkable from around 5 days and fully carbed around 8 days.
                            I have yet to wait 2 weeks for anything to bottle condition fully, but I mainly do APA, IPA and IRA's.

Comment

• Carbonate/bottle condition is two different things. I should also add I like my beers on the low carbed side, so that's perhaps something that also helps my time.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                              Keg your beers you bloody amateurs!
                              I am. Sometimes some is left over and gets dumped into a few loose bottles though. Only the clearest beer goes into the keg. The first litre and the last bits all go in bottles.

Comment

• Need help please.

As mentioned in a another post, my mate made a 50l brew pot for me out of keg. I did a trial run this morning and heated around 20l of water to 80 degrees on gas. There was a strange smell, almost chemical and rubber coming from the keg. Not sure if underneath or the gas burner - but this has me concerned to do a batch in the keg.

So I thought maybe I should just spend the money on new pot

50L stainless steel - R1080
                                Hop spider, ball valve, thermometer & silicon tube from Amazon - 1818

So R2898 for a proper brewing pot with everything I need.

If I get logik urn, it's R1500 and then still have to get all the accessories.

Comment

Working...
                                X