Page 11 of 174 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    AtronSeige

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Anybody entering the 2016 Devil's Peak Homebrew competition?
    Me!

I tasted my beer last night and I think it is good. I just need to get the carbonation right so that I can bottle (the beer is kegged).
    Last edited by AtronSeige; 10th November 2016 at 09:03.

Anybody entering the 2016 Devil's Peak Homebrew competition?
    Are the details on their website?

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Nope, saw it on FB page. Deadline 1 December. I would like to get some feedback on 2 Lagers of mine that I think is not too shabby ;-) Do you guys courier your beers to DP ?

AtronSeige
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/events/151839511915348/

AtronSeige
    Do you guys courier your beers to DP ?
    I use Postnet or Collivery. With postnet you can ship 6 X 440 ml bottles for R99 anywhere in the country.

Lalvin and hangovers. Has any one noticed a correlation?
    When I make fruit wines, I use lalvin. When i use natural yeast in the fruit skin, then no hangover. Made it for many years, but wild yeast is slower than lalvin.
    Lalvin will completely attenuate the must in 3 or 4 days at cool temp. Wild yeast takes about 6 -8 weeks for a dry fruit wine at room temp.

No idea about lalvin but some beers give me a hangover. Others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Lalvin and hangovers. Has any one noticed a correlation?
    When I make fruit wines, I use lalvin. When i use natural yeast in the fruit skin, then no hangover. Made it for many years, but wild yeast is slower than lalvin.
    Lalvin will completely attenuate the must in 3 or 4 days at cool temp. Wild yeast takes about 6 -8 weeks for a dry fruit wine at room temp.
    Could it be that the natural yeast doesn't ferment as dry and the wine has a lower abv?
    Where do you get your wine yeast?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Could it be that the natural yeast doesn't ferment as dry and the wine has a lower abv?
    Where do you get your wine yeast?

Not sure. Should maybe do an experiment. Back when i used wild yeast i did not use hydrometers etc. just a bucket, white sugar, water and chopped up fruit. With all the skins on top and a cheese cloth over it. Very crude, but effective.

That said, i've been surprised by booze from wild yeast. Once managed to distill 4L of 43% from 15L marula beer. Bottled mostly as beer, then took the remaining 15 L to a still.
    Wild yeast can be unpredictable. Sometimes strong and dry, other times weaker and sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Not sure. Should maybe do an experiment. Back when i used wild yeast i did not use hydrometers etc. just a bucket, white sugar, water and chopped up fruit. With all the skins on top and a cheese cloth over it. Very crude, but effective.

That said, i've been surprised by booze from wild yeast. Once managed to distill 4L of 43% from 15L marula beer. Bottled mostly as beer, then took the remaining 15 L to a still.
    Wild yeast can be unpredictable. Sometimes strong and dry, other times weaker and sweeter.
    Makes sense, could be an interesting experiment.

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you