No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see in my grainfather app when creating a recipe it always suggests a mash out.

Is it necessary, does it have any impact if you always do a mash out? (I know with oats etc it's necessary)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
      I see in my grainfather app when creating a recipe it always suggests a mash out.

Is it necessary, does it have any impact if you always do a mash out? (I know with oats etc it's necessary)

You can create your own default mash profile, so you don't get a mashout ... or a different profile for each style you want.

...for me personally the gain is minimal enough that I sometimes don't do it ... I decide on the fly ... the point or 2 that's lost doesn't bother me.
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        A bacterial infection could easily explain a 1.002 final gravity.
        I don't think there is a bacterial infection involved here.. I brewed this Duvel Tripel Hop on 10/09. I still have plenty bottles left.. I had one recently and it was still good with nothing obvious lurking. I would think that after 3 months an infection would have manifested itself already.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          You can create your own default mash profile, so you don't get a mashout ... or a different profile for each style you want.

...for me personally the gain is minimal enough that I sometimes don't do it ... I decide on the fly ... the point or 2 that's lost doesn't bother me.
          Yeah I know I can adjust the mash profile. The question was more around mash out, is there any negative impact on doing it for every brew?

Comment

• For me. Squeezing a hotter brew bag. So its not in any of my recipes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I know I can adjust the mash profile. The question was more around mash out, is there any negative impact on doing it for every brew?

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs...ough-decoction
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Is it necessary, does it have any impact if you always do a mash out? (I know with oats etc it's necessary)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mashing out is not necessary, but doing it will give you a slightly higher efficiency as with mashing out you'll be 'thinning out' your sugars in your mash such that more sugars actually drain out from the grain into the wort.

For me, I mash out all the time, because my old school 3 tier gas setup (HLT, mash, boil) easily allows me to step mash Alpha B to Alpha A to mash out. I understand that if you biab then you probably have to take preventative action to prevent scorching your element or bag while bumping your temp from say 67 to 76C.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  Mashing out is not necessary, but doing it will give you a slightly higher efficiency as with mashing out you'll be 'thinning out' your sugars in your mash such that more sugars actually drain out from the grain into the wort.

For me, I mash out all the time, because my old school 3 tier gas setup (HLT, mash, boil) easily allows me to step mash Alpha B to Alpha A to mash out. I understand that if you biab then you probably have to take preventative action to prevent scorching your element or bag while bumping your temp from say 67 to 76C.
                  How does mashing out (ie raising the mash temp) make the sugars more fluid/thin out the sugars to drain out more sugars out of the mash to give you a higher efficiency?

What % increase in mash efficiency did you get by mashing out vs. not mashing out?

What do you mean by going from Alpha B to Alpha A to mash out?

Beta Amylase rest To Alpha Amylase rest to mash out by increasing the temp I presume

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                  Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 6 January 2022, 08:34.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• If mash out can only increase efficiency and has no negative impact, then I guess I will keep it in all my brews.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                      How does mashing out (ie raising the mash temp) make the sugars more fluid/thin out the sugars to drain out more sugars out of the mash to give you a higher efficiency?
                      I don't know .. but it does.
                      BeerHolic posted a link that explains it nicely.

What % increase in mash efficiency did you get by mashing out vs. not mashing out?
                      I don't know - I have never measured it.

What do you mean by going from Alpha B to Alpha A to mash out?
                      Beta Amylase rest To Alpha Amylase rest to mash out by increasing the temp I presume
                      Yes, I mean that.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        I don't know .. but it does. - No it does not, test it yourself if you don't believe me

BeerHolic posted a link that explains it nicely. - I have read the link it does not explain it either that's why I asked - Just because somebody wrote in a blog that a mash out improves efficiency does not make it true

I don't know - I have never measured it. - I have measured it and its didnt make a difference

Yes, I mean that.
                        @ Chris_za1 Its a waist of time and energy to do a mash out step and it does not improve your beer, it aslo does not increase OG.

The main reason to do a mash out is to raise the temperature to stop enzyme activity due to the high temp that supposedly will end the conversion of sugars in the wort ensuring that no further conversion takes place during lautering in a attempt to always have consistency in sugar production, its more important on a large scale but does not influence us on home brew level.

I say supposedly because after a 60 min mash almost all the sugars have already been converted and the enzymes has denatured to such a high extent that they dont contribute to any significant sugar production anymore.

ps. raising the temp will decrease viscosity ie faster draining. The time you save to drain your wort faster vs. the time to raise temp (and heat energy applied) is counter productive on a homebrew scale
                        Harhm
                        Last edited by Harhm; 6 January 2022, 14:55.
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          @ Chris_za1 Its a waist of time and energy to do a mas out step and it does not improve your beer
                          It does not take any effort as I just add it as a step in grainfather so it automatically adjusts temp etc.

My last 2 batches I did mash out and both Effeciency were higher than app calculation - there must be something to it.

Comment

• I have never made a concious effort to test the difference between a mash out and not doing it.
                            I do however have a feeling that it will not make much difference.
                            I still do a mash out, but only do a 45 minute mash, found not much difference compared to a 60 minute mash.
                            Think on my next brew I will do a 60 minute mash and skip the mash out.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

It does not take any effort as I just add it as a step in grainfather so it automatically adjusts temp etc. yes no effort but like I mentioned time and energy waisted

My last 2 batches I did mash out and both Effeciency were higher than app calculation - there must be something to it - Efficiency setting within the app

Next brew take a gravity reading at end of mash and after the mash out step, keep us posted

Comment

• Well, since Im already skipping a mashout every other brew, I think after reading the last few posts, im jumping on the "no mashout required" boat.

So after the standard 60min mash i will spark the burner and immediately pull the bag from now on.
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X