Page 173 of 174 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174 LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1740

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    Ahh That Explains it.. Some guy on Homebrewtalk did n bunch of expiriments with proble placement, he tested ambient, thermowell, in a can of water, and insulated against the side

and the best was insulated against the side.. he had the same experience with the thermowell that you had it dropped way to low by the time the beer changed temp.. the thermal mass of the beer is too much
    Going back to my old method then of taping it to the side. Will see how temp behaves then.
    I think a thermowell sensor is more for fermenters that have cooling coils inside the beer.

I just tape mine with masking tape to the side of the fermenter, about 1/3rd of the way below the beer line. I also tune the chamber temp to be 0.5C colder than I want the beer to ferment at. So if I want the beer to ferment at 15C, I set the chamber to 14.5C.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Going back to my old method then of taping it to the side. Will see how temp behaves then.
    I think a thermowell sensor is more for fermenters that have cooling coils inside the beer.
    You answered the question to your problem. Like others have suggested, it would be best to stick the probe to the OUTSIDE of the FV
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I brewed a blonde ale. OG was 1.030, pitched yeast on tuesday 1 June and there is still activity in the airlock today. Used US-05. Now admittedly it has been a bit chilly over the last week, but I have never had a batch with an OG that low take more than 4-5 days before the airlock was silent. Trub layer is also a LOT bigger than usual. Does that sound right? I brewed in an urn for the first time versus usually using a gas burner and pot.

Just looking for some assurance that its not a wasted batch after being in the fermenter for 10 and a half days.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedPiggy View Post
    I brewed a blonde ale. OG was 1.030, pitched yeast on tuesday 1 June and there is still activity in the airlock today. Used US-05. Now admittedly it has been a bit chilly over the last week, but I have never had a batch with an OG that low take more than 4-5 days before the airlock was silent. Trub layer is also a LOT bigger than usual. Does that sound right? I brewed in an urn for the first time versus usually using a gas burner and pot.

Just looking for some assurance that its not a wasted batch after being in the fermenter for 10 and a half days.
    Smell it, taste it. That's the only way to know if it has gone south. Also, remember that airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation activity. Check the gravity to determine that.
    Colder fermentations do generally take longer, so don't fret if it smells and tastes okay.

+1 take readings

This is what I have at the bottom of my bucket whilst cold crashing.

1.jpg

As you can see it's quite a bit so want to remove some. Can I just use a soup ladle to scoop a sufficient quantity of the top layer of yeasty goodness for the next brew? (sanitary practises will be applied all around)

Short Answer = YES

A man after my heart. I like short answers... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BruHaha View Post
    A man after my heart. I like short answers... Thanks.
    Top cropping is better.
    Thats my short answer