Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Does bottle conditioning deal with diacityl as well or should i leave it in fermenter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Typically not. Rather leave it in the fermenter and raise the temp a little for a couple of days for a diacetyl rest. I think lager is around 16C for a diacetyl rest and ales about 2C higher than the fermentation temp.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
      Typically not. Rather leave it in the fermenter and raise the temp a little for a couple of days for a diacetyl rest. I think lager is around 16C for a diacetyl rest and ales about 2C higher than the fermentation temp.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
      18-20 deg C for lagers
      Ales don't typically need a diacetyl rest if you've let them ferment out at a decent temp, except if you have a highly flocculant yeast or have had a stuck fermentation due to temp fluctuation, in which case I'd rather make a small yeast starter and re-pitch.

- - - Updated - - -
      jakeslouw
      Last edited by jakeslouw; 25 July 2016, 09:48. Reason: weird double post

Comment

Does bottle conditioning deal with diacityl as well or should i leave it in fermenter?

Nope, leave it in the fermenter to do a Diacetyl rest.
        If you did not have one of the following: under pitch, low airation, stuck fermentation or fermented too high i.e. stressed yeast, you should not have diacetyl. Have you tested for diacetyl?
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

The stout tastes fine, but the golden ale was a bit yeasty and butterscotchy. Tonight i'm starting the cold crash, then bottle 90 bottles on saturday. After bottling, i'm starting my last try on a partial english bitter, and also a belgian ale.

Just need to do some research on melanoidin and carafoam that I want to add to the bitter.

Comment

Can I drop it on that yeast in the same fermenter as the previous batch?
            An important fact that was not covered in the other answers is that yeast produce aromas/flavours during their exponential phase. If your yeast does not go into exponential phase (because there are already so many of them), then you will not get that complexity.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
              An important fact that was not covered in the other answers is that yeast produce aromas/flavours during their exponential phase. If your yeast does not go into exponential phase (because there are already so many of them), then you will not get that complexity.

Seriously cool article.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post

Thanks for the great link/article!
                Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                  Seriously cool article.
                  was also in the BJCP study guides

Comment

Still an absolute newbie. When making extract brews, how essential is it to use beer enhancers? Literature states it improves 'mouth feel', what's that?
                    Reason I ask is that a recipe I want to try (Saison), calls for a mix of two extracts and not complete tins. I will be left with some that I do not know what to do with. To make something different, I thought I'd mix it with an enhancer and mix a witches brew with what's left?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Random small questions

Some tins can be a bit watery when you make them. The enhancers fixes that. It also lifts abv slightly, and gives the beer more flavour. I usually add 2kg of enhancer in my beer. Then i push for 24L batches.

Think of an enhancer pack as a specific style made of dry ingredients, like dme, dextrose and hops.
                      Can you post the recipe here?

CraftyZA
                      Last edited by CraftyZA; 30 July 2016, 07:28.

Comment

I will be left with 0.7lt of unhopped wheat extract and 0.9lt of light malt extract.
                        I was thinking of just mixing these with an enhancer and a spare Ale yeast I have.

Comment

I currently have a Belgium ale in the the Fermentor for 2 weeks now already , sg of 1.007. Beer very murky and I would like to add a finnings which I can only get during the week. Can I leave the brew for another week?

JBartleman
                          Last edited by JBartleman; 31 July 2016, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by JBartleman View Post
                            I currently have a Belgium ale in the the Fermentor for 2 weeks now already , sg of 1.002. Beer very murky and I would like to add a finnings which I can only get during the week. Can I leave the brew for another week?
                            in short, yes. theres no rush. you're still good for a few more weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JBartleman View Post
                              sg of 1.007
                              Is that correct? Did you wave the malt past the kettle?

Comment

yup..tested twice. Added everything that came with kit. 1.7 kg MJ extract & full packet enhancer

Comment

Working...
                                X