Page 3 of 174 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Logic is over rated. :-P

The CIP protocol is for preventing and removing beerstone, not something I'd worry about for plastic fermenters, but for SS would be worthwhile.

It also uses a non-caustic alkaline rinse (like PBW).

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/re...ting_beerstone

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

+1

Also got the newsletter on Beerstone & Caustic
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Ok, feedback time on fermenter odour removal.
    I used 200g caustic (drain cleaner) in 10L hot water out of the geyser. Did a few good shakes and then washed the fermenters with a soft rag. Then I rinsed them with hot water to remove all the caustic.
    My stainless and even plastic fermenters look brand new. Not a hint of an odour.
    Safety recap:
    Use full length gloves.
    Use goggles
    And use a soft sponge to wash if required. The rag I was using behaved like spaghetti making me run to a tap to rinse a few times.
    Definitely a worthwhile exercise, but I'll only do it every few batches.

Random small questions

Quick question: if I siphon to my bottle bucket, there is a nice big fat amount of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter. Now lets say I have another wort ready for action. Can I drop it on that yeast in the same fermenter as the previous batch? Should be clean. Yeast is active. Billions of them ready to go. Why waste them?

My cold crash takes 2 days to go from 18 to 2, so no sudden temperature shock that could kill them. Should all have gone to a happy dormant sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CraftyZA; 20th July 2016 at 14:33.

There are people who pitch on the yeast slurry. It works, but it helps of the beer you are pitching is similar in style and colouring. Just keep in mind it risks infection and there might be an effect from using way too much yeast.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Thanks. Will try it with a saison. Then it should not matter if there is too much yeast. Will just taste more "saison-y"

Yes you can. As long as it hasn't been in secondary for too long or in the fermenter for ages.

At the Beer Boot Camp, the White Labs rep actually reckoned this is an excellent way to recycle yeast: from one ferment straight into the next.

Just be aware: maximum 3-5 times for weiss yeast and 8-10 times for ale yeast.......then you have to chuck it away.

I am also new to this, but have successfully done three batches in a row on the same slurry without any infection.

I do this all the time ..... yesterday in fact .... Beer-on-Beer as the Aussies calls it.

Tiny from Offtapbrewing comes to mind
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Does bottle conditioning deal with diacityl as well or should i leave it in fermenter?