No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sodium hydroxide/caustic soda is pretty much drain cleaner, unscented of course, diluted down - google kegsolutions keg cleaning for method. i've been doing his procedure for years, good idea to strip the taps and clean often too

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      sodium hydroxide/caustic soda is pretty much drain cleaner, unscented of course, diluted down - google kegsolutions keg cleaning for method. i've been doing his procedure for years, good idea to strip the taps and clean often too
      Thanks. Do you use Richards method of diluting in 2L of water first?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
        Thanks. Do you use Richards method of diluting in 2L of water first?
        absolutely, 2l of this lasts quite a while as you use ~30ml per keg + 2l boiling water

Comment

absolutely, 2l of this lasts quite a while as you use ~30ml per keg + 2l boiling water
          Thanks so you don't fill the keg completely and let it sit overnight?
          Do you just shake it around?

Comment

• yep, you could also run it through your beerline/tap whilst hot

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
              Sounds like a plan. Just spoke to them, they don't have exactly what I was looking for in the right sizes, but I'm keen to try their products.

The one that they don't have is the 1L starsan type cleaner in a normal bottle, only have those that allows you to push and dispense x amount into the little side part for about R40 extra per 1L. I have one and don't need more. Maybe we can take a box of 6 if they have stock? Think it's R113,xx ex vat per 1L
              I forgot about this, is the R113 for the fancy bottle type? I also have a bottle like that. Are you also going for their Oxygenated cleaner?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                I forgot about this, is the R113 for the fancy bottle type? I also have a bottle like that. Are you also going for their Oxygenated cleaner?

No the 113 is for the plain bottle.

Yes was thinking of getting oxygenated cleaner to wash my equipment with.

I bought some bleach and vinegar to sanitize, had to try it cause it's such an easy option. You can buy it everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                  No the 113 is for the plain bottle.

Yes was thinking of getting oxygenated cleaner to wash my equipment with.

I bought some bleach and vinegar to sanitize, had to try it cause it's such an easy option. You can buy it everywhere.
                  bleach and acetic acid i give up

Comment

bleach and acetic acid i give up
                    Bleach is a complete no-no. But peracetic acid is used by many brewers for sanitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      Bleach is a complete no-no. But peracetic acid is used by many brewers for sanitation.
                      mix acid and bleach, die or kill someone. they never go together

Comment

• I read about this on this thread, post 1081 iirc.

@Jitters wrote

When I started out, I used bleach and vinegar water as a no rinse sanitizer. Just dont be a dum dum and add it together. First the bleach then the water and then the vinegar.

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rin...-brewing-beer/

I read this article and found the replies helpful in making this decision. If it doesn't work, well then it's another lesson learned, but the repondents sounded very happy with their results.

Comment

• I just want to be clear I did this when I started out and wanted to spend the minimum amount of money, star san is obviously going to be better.

below is the actual podcast where he says it. Do with it what you will

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390...46d85d2eada10e

I also very clearly said in my reply that if I was being honest you should make the trip to y-clean and just get starsan.

btw the guy in the podcast is charlie talley, the creator of starsan. Im pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.

Comment

• sure whatever works for you. i'm not advocating your choice and pretty much cant even.
                            harsher acids exist and someone somewhere someday will read that acid and bleach makes a good cleaner/sanitizer and not wake up or sit with irreparable lung damage, that at the very least wont be on my conscious.
                            i've said it before and will say it again. a person is smart, but people are idiots.

Comment

• I@Jitters didn't mean to say you told me to use it, sorry if I gave you that impression.

If someone wants to blindly do things without doing research, they going to screw up something sometime. I did read the article and it all seemed to be valid info, that's why I went that route. This isn't a permanent solution, but it was a a great solution to my problem at the time

Comment

• I bought this from brewshop... is it ok? It’s quite hectic on the lungs.

Curious to know why anyone would take a shortcut in sanitising. It’s cheap AF?

http://brewshop.co.za/clorine-dioxide-powder-2x50g.html

Comment

Working...
                                X