Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark250GP View Post
    How long does no rinse sanitiser stay a sanitiser before it turns to water.

In a bottle or on equipment and in a bucket with a closed lid.
    Months if not years if it isn't diluted. What you need to worry about is its pH. You can always top it up with a strong mix once a month or so if you are worried.

Comment

• I mean if you don't dilute it anymore than your first mix/dilution

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250GP View Post
        How long does no rinse sanitiser stay a sanitiser before it turns to water.

In a bottle or on equipment and in a bucket with a closed lid.
        Depends on the sanitizer. Something using an oxygen-based sanitizer like hydrogen peroxide - nothing over 20 minutes. Acid-based sanitizers for as long as the pH remains low enough to allow the surfactant to kill anything in there. In other words, for as long as it's not diluted too far, or cloudy or dirty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Depends on the sanitizer. Something using an oxygen-based sanitizer like hydrogen peroxide - nothing over 20 minutes. Acid-based sanitizers for as long as the pH remains low enough to allow the surfactant to kill anything in there. In other words, for as long as it's not diluted too far, or cloudy or dirty.
          I thought the starsan's of the world turn into water after a few hrs?

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
            I thought the starsan's of the world turn into water after a few hrs?
            Nope. The acids don't go away. You're thinking of sodium percabonate granules, like in the Mangrove Jack's No Rinse Sanitizer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Nope. The acids don't go away. You're thinking of sodium percabonate granules, like in the Mangrove Jack's No Rinse Sanitizer.
              Ah yes you're correct. Was thinking of SPC

Comment

• +1 The Star*san* keeps forever ... especially when mixed with RO water ... doesn't turn cloudy that quick with RO water ... NOT that cloudy means it's not doing it work
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• i do allot of maize meal with high temp enzymes, i ferment it on the grain and filter and press post fermentation. filter is geotextile fabric. i was gifted some unmalted barley. i included some in my maize mash and had a terible time filtering it. glue from the proteins. now i am thinking to mash and boil like a beer mash. ... any one here that have done this an can confirm it is worth the effort? it will not be a beer to drink.... although i see recipes for brut ipa...

Comment

• I'm not sure what you mean "like a beer mash". I've made all-grain mashes before with various types of malted barley (just at a higher gravity) and they come out WONDERFULLY. I have to do one soon again, actually, just need to get some kit orders out so I can fund the malts. I'll probably be using 40kg of malt for my next batch of whisky, overall, split into 8 x 20l cubes of wort to ferment before distillation.

Comment

• Guys would a reptile heating mat suffice for inside my fermentation fridge?

I don't want to get a belt as sometimes I have 2 fermenters in there at once.

I control with a stc 1000

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                        Guys would a reptile heating mat suffice for inside my fermentation fridge?

I don't want to get a belt as sometimes I have 2 fermenters in there at once.

I control with a stc 1000
                        Yes, works perfectly. I stuck mine to the inside of the door.

Comment

• Yup! I use a large square reptile heating pad in my ferm fridge. I hang it so that it hangs next to the bucket (on the opposite side side on which the stc probe is taped) and it works great!

Comment

• Great thanks guys

Comment

• Can also confirm: in fact, I have one that keeps 2 x 25L fermenters nice and warm. I just hung mine down the side next to the racks.

Comment

• https://medsupplies.co.za/products/i...smart_campaign

Can this iodine be used to test mash conversion?

Comment

Working...
                                X