No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use a modified braided water connector, available form any hardware store - Google How to Make a Mash tun from a Coller - more than enough links and videos to work through.

Comment

• Originally posted by cobus.vanschalkwyk View Post
      Dewald do you have a false bottom in your campmaster, would you mind sharing a photo?
      This is how Beerlab used to sell them, just to give you an idea ...

01.jpg

02.jpg
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• An atlernative :
        I've made a copper pipe insert into my 50litre Coleman mashtun. I wrap the filtration system with a mesh cloth for extra fitration. It's like an inverted biab. I get good enough efficiencies
        Thread elsewhere
        AlexBrew
        Last edited by AlexBrew; 27 April 2021, 09:06.

Comment

• I've made up 2L of concentrated caustic for cleaning. It was super cheap. Cost me R30
          By using it at 4ml per L it will last a while.

I've been reading though and breweries actually recycle their caustic. Does anyone else do this here?

Comment

• Ok so I have a pale bubbling. I pitched the yeast on sunday and I'm running it high 22C coz I'd like to drink it by Saturday, what do you think? Ferment till Friday night and then crash Friday night, and keg it Saturday morning?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• As long as the gravity is low enough, I say go for it, otherwise you risk overcarbonated foam in your glass from the keg.

Comment

• Well, let's see! It's on

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  Ok so I have a pale bubbling. I pitched the yeast on sunday and I'm running it high 22C coz I'd like to drink it by Saturday, what do you think? Ferment till Friday night and then crash Friday night, and keg it Saturday morning?

I did that on my last brew. 10 day ferment but was a bit cooler. Overnight crash. Keg the next morning then set co2 to 40psi at 2C for 12 hours. Great carbonation and still quite clear. Not totally clear but good enough.

Comment

• Question about whirlpool temps. I've seen lots of recipes call for say a 20 minute whirlpool at 80c.
                    So I see brewers cool to 80c then add hops and whirlpool. What I haven't seen is the temp held at 80c by turning on heaters or is the temp allowed to naturally drop slowly during the whirlpool?

Comment

• I think its suposed to be maintained there but F that. I drop to 80 and gooi hops and let the hops ride it out till I keg. I also only calculate 10min at that temp as like you said it drops

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                        Question about whirlpool temps. I've seen lots of recipes call for say a 20 minute whirlpool at 80c.
                        So I see brewers cool to 80c then add hops and whirlpool. What I haven't seen is the temp held at 80c by turning on heaters or is the temp allowed to naturally drop slowly during the whirlpool?
                        Yes, I don't recall seeing that myself ... I think is fine to let it naturally drop. The main idea is to have it under 80 as to not introduce to much bitterness when the wort is still above that 80 mark
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Cool thanks guys

Comment

• For intertest, hop utilization

• Boiling: 100 C (212 F) – Utilization is 100%
                            • At 90 C (194 F) – Utilization is 49%
                            • At 80 C (176 F) – Utilization is 23%
                            • At 70 C (158 F) – Utilization is 10%
                            • At 60 C (140 F) – Utilization is 4.3%
                            • At 50 C (122 F) – Utilization is 1.75%
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Yes, I don't recall seeing that myself ... I think is fine to let it naturally drop. The main idea is to have it under 80 as to not introduce to much bitterness when the wort is still above that 80 mark
                              Basic brewing chanel do a Neipa where they just put hops in after flame out, let the temp drop and add another lot of hops after 10 mins (~85deg), then after another 10 mins chill and ferment. They said on the video that they got the method from John Palmer's podcast.

I also watched the Genus brew live set on making hoppy beers and they also suggested this method for getting juicy beers.

I've done it a few times without issues but don't have a lot to compare it against so can't comment if it makes beer amazing or not..

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                              For intertest, hop utilization

• Boiling: 100 C (212 F) – Utilization is 100%
                              • At 90 C (194 F) – Utilization is 49%
                              • At 80 C (176 F) – Utilization is 23%
                              • At 70 C (158 F) – Utilization is 10%
                              • At 60 C (140 F) – Utilization is 4.3%
                              • At 50 C (122 F) – Utilization is 1.75%
                              Thanks this is helpful, is this time dependent?

Also when we talk about utilization are we talking about % of alpha acids isomerized?

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                                Thanks this is helpful, is this time dependent?
                                Also when we talk about utilization are we talking about % of alpha acids isomerized?
                                yes and yes.
                                This thread from BeerSmith explains it nicely:
                                https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/12/1...-beer-brewing/

Comment

Working...
                                X