• Show
Clear All

• Beersmith gravity calculator

I overshot my gravity by a mile.
    My recipe:
    1kg carapils steeped for 30 minutes @ 71c

My gravity came out 1078. I was hoping for 1065
    How accurate is the BS calculations?

Let me just add, i've added 2 x dme on bs, how ever, it was actually mangrove jack enhancer no20
    It contains dextrose, dme and hops. When i changed it on bs to 1kg dme and 1kg dextrose gravity came out the same.
    Temperature was 20 degrees
    This is quite a big difference. Not sure how to explain it.

Also the colour is way off. Mine is pretty dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CraftyZA
    Last edited by CraftyZA; 7 August 2016, 12:27.

Beersmith gravity calculator

My idea is to to increase the co2 to 3 volumes, and let it stand 6 months or more to compensate.
    It is done with MJ Belgian ale

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
      I overshot my gravity by a mile.
      My recipe:
      1kg carapils steeped for 30 minutes @ 71c

My gravity came out 1078. I was hoping for 1065
      How accurate is the BS calculations?

Let me just add, i've added 2 x dme on bs, how ever, it was actually mangrove jack enhancer no20
      It contains dextrose, dme and hops. When i changed it on bs to 1kg dme and 1kg dextrose gravity came out the same.
      Temperature was 20 degrees
      This is quite a big difference. Not sure how to explain it.

Also the colour is way off. Mine is pretty dark.

Beersmith is only as good as the info it gets.

I suggest the Mangrove Jack Enhancer characteristics are not compliant with what Beersmith seems to think they are.

Comment

This is the one thing I dislike about the software. We need more ingredients. I'm thinking of making a call to MJ and try and speak to a lab tech, while I capture all the parameters of the more used products. Enhancers, tins, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
          This is the one thing I dislike about the software. We need more ingredients. I'm thinking of making a call to MJ and try and speak to a lab tech, while I capture all the parameters of the more used products. Enhancers, tins, etc.
          That's a little harsh on BS2. Keeping the ingedient database up to date would need a full time team and I'm not sure what you expect for R450?

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
            That's a little harsh on BS2. Keeping the ingedient database up to date would need a full time team and I'm not sure what you expect for R450?
            Agreed, my word selection was poor.
            There are a bunch of companies that manufacture ingredients. Select the top 5 and capture.
            I'd say, coopers, mangrove jack, muntons, and blackrock. Thats actually all that comes to mind. Maybe mr beer, even if they are horrible. They have a large distribution network.
            A better alternative would be for BS to accept submissions to be included in the build. So coopers can capture their own parameters, and send it off. But then to be fair to the manufacturers, there are plenty brew software platforms.

The onus would seem to fall on us.

This is enough of a hindrance that I might take up the task.
            I tried over email with little success. I think the key is speaking to the lab tech in person.

I see myself still making kit/lme/dme based beers even after I'm fully set up for AG. By using partial mashes, or steepingin conjunction one can make some pretty decent beers, so it would be an advantage to have those ingredients available in our planning software.

Comment

There are periodic updates to BS2, which includes the ingedients lists.

Comment

Incidentally the latest update was just released, but not ingredients specifically

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/07...iled-overview/

Comment

Proper Handling of Late Extracts/Sugar Additions

Many people noted that the program did not properly handle late extract or sugar additions for all grain brews (only extract type beers), and that the sugars were included in the preboil gravity estimate. This has been corrected in 2.3, so now late sugar additions will be properly handled both from a gravity and bitterness estimate perspective. Also new fields were added to calculate the post mash gravity of all grain brews separate from the pre-boil gravity (which could include sugars) to give far more accurate mash efficiency estimates. These new fields are on the session tab as well as mash tab.

Comment

\m/ thanks jakeslow! Will update tonight

Comment

Beersmith2 also includes add-ins that you can download to increase your ingredient database
                      Primary: APA
                      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                      Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
                      X