Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Hull

Hi Guys,

I have aWeizzen recipe that asks for Rice Hulls to e added. Any idea where I can buy and how much? Any substitutes? It seems as though some guys use ordinary rice, like the Tastic stuff??

The Rice Hulls is to prevent stuck sparge because for Weizzen normally use oat and/or wheat malt which is very fine. You could try just adding some un-milled raw barley to your mash. Or look for roughly ground corn cob - usually sold as animal feed. But before using test the tase firs by adding some to hot water around 80 deg C - let soak then drain and taste the water. If it tastes ok then go ahead and use. But DON"T use normal rice like Tastic rice - this will make it MUCH worse.
    brewminator
    Last edited by brewminator; 18 August 2016, 18:44. Reason: Added more info

Comment

As far as I know, those rice hulls (no flavour or sugars in these) is just to prevent a stuck sparge ... do you feel your setup could suffer this when mashing with wheat ?

PS: Welcome brewminator
      JIGSAW
      Last edited by JIGSAW; 19 August 2016, 07:36. Reason: Fixed spelling
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Co van den Raad View Post
        Hi Guys,

I have aWeizzen recipe that asks for Rice Hulls to e added. Any idea where I can buy and how much? Any substitutes? It seems as though some guys use ordinary rice, like the Tastic stuff??
        As the guys said, it is used to ensure that you do not get a stuck sparge when working with a lot of wheat malt. Chat to Brewcraft, not shown on their website but I know they had some.

Comment

Beerguerva list some, but as said only necessary if you anticipate a stuck sparge...... do you do 3 vessels?

Comment

Great I'll give the un-milled raw barley a go! Thanks

Comment

Yep, I've spoken to them and they charge R80/450g for their Rice Hulls, quite steep @ R180/Kg. That's why I actually asked for a substitute. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X