Hops aroma vs bittering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hops aroma vs bittering

Does anyone have any experience with the use of hops for bittering vs aroma. I have done a pilsner which call for a big batch of Saaz at 30min in a 60 min boil. Saaz hops are pricy and pouring loads of them for bittering seems like a waste. My question is, how much of this Saaz will contribute to aroma when added at 30min? Will most of the aroma not be cooked off by flameout. Would it not be better/cheaper to use a SAB hop for bittering at 60 and 30 min and add more Saaz later for aroma at say 10min and flameout?
    I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

100% Correct, In general I brew my lagers with a clean bittering hop (magnum) and noble hop (Saaz and other) @ 15 min and later for that typical noble hop character.

When you have very low bittering levels 10-15 ibu in Lite Lagers you can even get away with dual high alpha hops (J17) as late as 30 min.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

What Harhm said.

Comment

Working...
      X