Is it legal to brew beer at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to brew beer at home

Hi I hope you can help me, I brewing beer for my self and friends (don't sell) now I want to register for a Micro license (R12K). Now the police is giving me sh... and told me that its not legal to brewing my beer at home. What must I do help.

It is legal as a hobby as long as you dont sell, u may not have more than 300liters on you at a time (last time i checked)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you now where in the legislation it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobus View Post
        Hi I hope you can help me, I brewing beer for my self and friends (don't sell) now I want to register for a Micro license (R12K). Now the police is giving me sh... and told me that its not legal to brewing my beer at home. What must I do help.

if it's for personal consumption, then yes, it's legal to brew as much as you like as long as you don't sell it or barter in any way with it. once you have some sort of license and you're planning on selling it, then it becomes illegal to brew at home. you would need to brew in an industrial or semi industrial zone etc.

contact the national liquor authority for legislation.
        that guy al
        Last edited by that guy al; 18 April 2017, 19:39.

Comment

What Al said.

You may not produce alcoholic beverage for resale from your home. I think this law may be a carry over from distilling, where they may be worried that you are going to blow the city block to bits. Also, your neighbours might bet angry if trucks block the road.

There are exceptions (and these may be specific to provinces), but there are a few breweries on small holdings/farms.

From my talks with brewers, do the following: Find some industrial/semi industrial place where you want to brew, get a floor plan. Use the floor plan to design your brewery, indicating where each item will be standing, their size, etc. SARS will apparently accept this initially. When you get clearance buy/rent the space and the equipment. Then get SARS in again to show them where things may have changed slightly. Get final clearance.

And yes, this means that you will be paying for a building and equipment for a few months while you are not allowed to brew. Not even test brews (as I understood). You may run water through the system and you may CIP, but no wort or beer.

Comment

The twist here is that each province interprets and applies the Liquor Act in their own way.

Contact some body like the South Yeasters club and ask around on the legalities.

Comment

Working...
            X