Advice for a grape to wine brew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a grape to wine brew?

Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I was wondering if anyone could assist me with a wine that I am attempting to brew.

Crushing -> Cold Soak -> Fermentation -> Clarification -> Bottling.

That's my basic recipe or guide that I am going to follow. I have a grape vine that is quite large, expecting around 120+ decently sized cluster of grapes, the grapes themselves are quite thickskinned but juicy and fragrant, red skins and a greenish flesh. I have a 27 litre glass fermentor and a 22 litre food-grade plastic container. If the grapes aren't enough I plan on adding honey and sugar water until I get enough (going for around 20 litres). I have heard of using nylon mesh bags to help filter out the solid mass from the liquid, is this a necessary step? I can't seem to think of another way of isolating just the liquid

When I crush the grapes I will add pectin enzymes to help degrade some sugars pre cold soak.

I need some advice on any safe guards that could prevent spoilage, I've seen a product called campden tablets, which I assume contains some sort of sulphur, so I plan on using them to sterilise the must pre fermentation. Is there a better or more viable alternative that I should know about?

I also need some advice on how to safely clarify and stabilise the wine before bottling,

I basically need some advice about what yeast I should think of using, the temperature it should be stored at and any general advice and help to avoid making vinegar.

P.S. If this forum is exclusively for beer, I apologise and feel free to remove this post XD.

Hey dude, I have no experience making wine (and very little making anything else, to be honest), but I've been following this oke on YouTube for a bit lately. He's been making brews and stuff for almost 40 years now, and he's been making YT videos for around 15 years now. He has a whole section on making wine as well: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...37AF9E9EF0ADC2

That being said, my main reason for liking this dude is is because he's a plain joe. He doesn't have fancy stuff, looks very weird, doesn't see very well and seems very confused on half his videos, but he does things simply, easily without being anal about anything. Maybe his channel can help?

Comment

This man is great! Thanks, I will watch and learn what I can!

Comment

Welcome DuSeTwa!

Unfortunately I can't be any help. I prefer my wines to have the word "barley" in front of them.

I will chat the with Simon and see if we can maybe create a whole area for wine.

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome DuSeTwa

Unfortunately I have no clue how to make wine from scratch, but hopefully we can learn something from your after you first batch is a success

Wine making from a kit is big in Canada (as you'll see from the YT link that Toxxyc supplied) but i never got into it, as I always thought the kits here is SA is waaaaay overpriced and apparently the wine isn't that great tasting, so that idea of brewing wine was moved to the bottom of the list.

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Hey dude, I have no experience making wine (and very little making anything else, to be honest), but I've been following this oke on YouTube for a bit lately. He's been making brews and stuff for almost 40 years now, and he's been making YT videos for around 15 years now. He has a whole section on making wine as well: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...37AF9E9EF0ADC2

That being said, my main reason for liking this dude is is because he's a plain joe. He doesn't have fancy stuff, looks very weird, doesn't see very well and seems very confused on half his videos, but he does things simply, easily without being anal about anything. Maybe his channel can help?
          Glad you got into his videos .... the "Plain Joe" is what I liked about the channel as well.

You asked in the other thread about doing your next brew on top of the old yeast ... this guy have made over 30 brews with ONE packet of dry yeast (I've done a max of about 11 I think) .... check it out
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            You asked in the other thread about doing your next brew on top of the old yeast ... this guy have made over 30 brews with ONE packet of dry yeast (I've done a max of about 11 I think) .... check it out
            Indeed! I don't think I'll be harvesting or re-using any of the yeast I have, since I want to make a pic guide of the other expired kit I have, so I'll use that yeast. Once I get some proper yeast (not some no-name under-lid yeast) I'll start harvesting/re-using it :P

Comment

The Big Boss said wine is welcome!

He created a whole section for vinters.

I am moving this thread there.

Comment

Originally posted by DuSeTwa View Post
                Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I was wondering if anyone could assist me with a wine that I am attempting to brew.

Crushing -> Cold Soak -> Fermentation -> Clarification -> Bottling.

That's my basic recipe or guide that I am going to follow. I have a grape vine that is quite large, expecting around 120+ decently sized cluster of grapes, the grapes themselves are quite thickskinned but juicy and fragrant, red skins and a greenish flesh. I have a 27 litre glass fermentor and a 22 litre food-grade plastic container. If the grapes aren't enough I plan on adding honey and sugar water until I get enough (going for around 20 litres). I have heard of using nylon mesh bags to help filter out the solid mass from the liquid, is this a necessary step? I can't seem to think of another way of isolating just the liquid

When I crush the grapes I will add pectin enzymes to help degrade some sugars pre cold soak.

I need some advice on any safe guards that could prevent spoilage, I've seen a product called campden tablets, which I assume contains some sort of sulphur, so I plan on using them to sterilise the must pre fermentation. Is there a better or more viable alternative that I should know about?

I also need some advice on how to safely clarify and stabilise the wine before bottling,

I basically need some advice about what yeast I should think of using, the temperature it should be stored at and any general advice and help to avoid making vinegar.

P.S. If this forum is exclusively for beer, I apologise and feel free to remove this post XD.
                @DuSeTwa

Dude how did the wine turn out? My grape vine is still really small. 10 clusters max. Would love to combine it with my blueberries. But they still small two.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X