Clone Recipe : Mad Giant Killer Hop IPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Think of the beer, those yeasts worked hard on your wort, only to be made into some kind of hopped up seaweed jelly water. I pity the beer...poor beer
    The "poor" yeast that you are going to dump in any way?

Comment

Hi..
      I was paging through the recipe category on this site last week and stumbled upon the Killer Hop IPA from Mad Giant. Funny enough about 3 months ago I met Eben (whan he was in CPT) through a buddy of mine who did some automation work at his brewery in JHB. I just started brewing at the time - so bounced him some questions.. Anyway so, about a week ago I saw the Killer Hop IPA listed on this site - so am super stoked to try this/his recipe of this famous beer.

Thats the story - the real question is: whats the feedback from the recipe listed - same as the real McCoy?

Also the recipe reads 25 IBU for bittering - but it doesn't say which hops and at what time - may I presume Centennial @60?

Comment

Excellent! I think it was the actual recipe kindly supplied by Eben, requested by Atron I think. I did it twice. First time it was smack on the money and tasted pretty identical and good(pretty much the only time I have ever wanted/ tried to clone a beer). Second time was around December and I added some 'extras' to make a christmas ale. But the IPA punch still came through beautifully.. Highly recommended.
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 28 September 2020, 23:43. Reason: By 'extras' I mean spices, not own-consumption-herbs
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Kwaai ... this will be my next brew then.
          Off to the brew shop then.

Comment

I have made this a couple of times. I have not tried the original but this recipe makes an awesome beer, especially if you leave it to condition for a while.. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
              I have made this a couple of times. I have not tried the original but this recipe makes an awesome beer, especially if you leave it to condition for a while.. Highly recommended.
              Forgive my ignorance, but would conditioning it "for a while" not reduce the hop aroma's provided by the dry hoping? Perhaps I should ask how long "for a while" is?
              It is my understanding that the flavours provided by hops diminishes over time, so doing a fair dry hop such as 2g/l (i know you can go much more than this) would be best enjoyed sooner rather than later, else why hop to that extent?
              CaPunT
              Last edited by CaPunT; 29 September 2020, 12:23. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                Forgive my ignorance, but would conditioning it "for a while" not reduce the hop aroma's provided by the dry hoping? Perhaps I should ask how long "for a while" is?
                It is my understanding that the flavours provided by hops diminishes over time, so doing a fair dry hop such as 2g/l (i know you can go much more than this) would be best enjoyed sooner rather than later, else why hop to that extent?
                The latest batch I made was brewed on 19 July 2020. It was fermented at 18 degrees for a week, then increased temp by 1 degree per day for 4 days, then cold crashed to 2.5 degrees for 3 days. Kegged and carbonated at 3.5 degrees for 2 weeks. Then bottled using a counter pressure filler and mostly stored in the fridge but it would have spent some time a room temperature.

So at the moment they are basically at around 7 or 8 weeks since the end of fermentation and are tasting really good to me. For me the dry hopping leaves has a rough/harsh taste initially when the beer is very young, which tends to get smoother with time. I much prefer the taste and flavour now compared to when it was 2 weeks old. Hence my comment that it needs to condition a bit. In relative terms 7 to 8 weeks is not that long a time for conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
                  The latest batch I made was brewed on 19 July 2020. It was fermented at 18 degrees for a week, then increased temp by 1 degree per day for 4 days, then cold crashed to 2.5 degrees for 3 days. Kegged and carbonated at 3.5 degrees for 2 weeks. Then bottled using a counter pressure filler and mostly stored in the fridge but it would have spent some time a room temperature.

So at the moment they are basically at around 7 or 8 weeks since the end of fermentation and are tasting really good to me. For me the dry hopping leaves has a rough/harsh taste initially when the beer is very young, which tends to get smoother with time. I much prefer the taste and flavour now compared to when it was 2 weeks old. Hence my comment that it needs to condition a bit. In relative terms 7 to 8 weeks is not that long a time for conditioning.
                  Totally agree and understood.
                  I guess it's just more to my taste to have it hoppy, and hence enjoy drinking the hoppier beers "fresh"(love me them aroma's!).
                  I should really make a point of keeping 6 beers for some "extended conditioning" but family, friends and insufficient cold/cool storage isn't really helping

Comment

I agree with Simple. It definately does change in profile quickly, and not necessarily for the worse.

Starts citrus burst, in your face hop blast fruitiness and then over a few weeks mellows out some of the 'harshness' while the hop aroma fades. Definately wouldn't lager or age an IPA in most circumstances
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I made a IPA from BG store at the very beginning .. long long time ago .. 4 months or so.
                      Anyway .. i got very good OG on that - 1076 instead of 1070.
                      On impatient tasting .. the first bottles where potent delux.. and displayed itself that way..
                      I had one week ogo - smooth smooth - round flavours.. and not too wild.
                      Got 1 squart remaining.

Comment

If I were to lager an IPA, I would bulk age it before adding the dry hops. In other words, ferment, rack off the lees into a suitable container (like a no-chill cube), lager for however long you want and then dry hop 72 hours before bottling. Should give you a lot of both worlds.

Comment

oxidation is a thing to be aware of, if you're doing open transfers post fermentation then your awareness should increase. closed transfers are better and you can purge o2 from the targer container. aging an ipa is not a great idea in my view, i'd wager the only reason you're doing it is that it's too bitter or very unbalanced - and if that's the case you need to look at your recipe writing skills or efficiencies. one of the other is out of kilter, except if you're brewing in 'hole' country, then you're exempt for logic and reason
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 30 September 2020, 09:22.

Comment

With oxidation being such a issue - could one prime the hops with co2 first and then add to the fermentor.

Surely there will be residual co2 in the fermentor already - co2 supposedly being heavier than o2 it should keep a blanket on top of wort/beer. The only issue I see is the o2 inside the hops - thus perhaps adding the required amount of hops to a jar, then inject some co2 - leave for a while (a hour - a day - I don't know), then add to fermentor?? Just a thought - Ive not tried this.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              With oxidation being such a issue - could one prime the hops with co2 first and then add to the fermentor.

Surely there will be residual co2 in the fermentor already - co2 supposedly being heavier than o2 it should keep a blanket on top of wort/beer. The only issue I see is the o2 inside the hops - thus perhaps adding the required amount of hops to a jar, then inject some co2 - leave for a while (a hour - a day - I don't know), then add to fermentor?? Just a thought - Ive not tried this.
                              correct - you'll have a blanket/buffer of co2 on your beer. sure you can purge the hops, i've seen some nifty things with magnets to drop the hops in the beer without having to open the fermentor. however adding the dh whilst fermentation isn't 100% complete would mitigate most of the oxidation issues. my point was more towards open transfer of fermented beer from primary to secondary for 'lagering' purposes. you'd be introducing a whole heap of o2 that way

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                                Directly from the Brew Master! Thanks Eben!

Malts:
                                Pale Malt 82%
                                Munich T2 13%
                                Wheat 4%
                                CaraMunich T1 1%

Mash in at 64C for 35min, raise to 72C for 25min, mash out at 78C
                                Target OG 12.6P

Hops (times are towards end of boil):
                                Bittering for 25 IBU
                                Centennial 15min 0.5 g/l
                                Cascade 15min 0.5 g/l
                                Centennial 5min 0.5 g/l
                                Cascade 5min 0.5 g/l

Boil for 60min

Ferment with US05 at 18C

Dry hop with:

Citra 2 g/l
                                Can someone be so kind to explain to me how I work out how much grain to use, and not percentages for a 18l batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X