Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71
  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    2,483

    If I were to lager an IPA, I would bulk age it before adding the dry hops. In other words, ferment, rack off the lees into a suitable container (like a no-chill cube), lager for however long you want and then dry hop 72 hours before bottling. Should give you a lot of both worlds.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,931
    oxidation is a thing to be aware of, if you're doing open transfers post fermentation then your awareness should increase. closed transfers are better and you can purge o2 from the targer container. aging an ipa is not a great idea in my view, i'd wager the only reason you're doing it is that it's too bitter or very unbalanced - and if that's the case you need to look at your recipe writing skills or efficiencies. one of the other is out of kilter, except if you're brewing in 'hole' country, then you're exempt for logic and reason
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 30th September 2020 at 09:22.

  3. #43
    With oxidation being such a issue - could one prime the hops with co2 first and then add to the fermentor.

    Surely there will be residual co2 in the fermentor already - co2 supposedly being heavier than o2 it should keep a blanket on top of wort/beer. The only issue I see is the o2 inside the hops - thus perhaps adding the required amount of hops to a jar, then inject some co2 - leave for a while (a hour - a day - I don't know), then add to fermentor?? Just a thought - Ive not tried this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    With oxidation being such a issue - could one prime the hops with co2 first and then add to the fermentor.

    Surely there will be residual co2 in the fermentor already - co2 supposedly being heavier than o2 it should keep a blanket on top of wort/beer. The only issue I see is the o2 inside the hops - thus perhaps adding the required amount of hops to a jar, then inject some co2 - leave for a while (a hour - a day - I don't know), then add to fermentor?? Just a thought - Ive not tried this.
    correct - you'll have a blanket/buffer of co2 on your beer. sure you can purge the hops, i've seen some nifty things with magnets to drop the hops in the beer without having to open the fermentor. however adding the dh whilst fermentation isn't 100% complete would mitigate most of the oxidation issues. my point was more towards open transfer of fermented beer from primary to secondary for 'lagering' purposes. you'd be introducing a whole heap of o2 that way

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by AtronSeige View Post
    Directly from the Brew Master! Thanks Eben!

    Malts:
    Pale Malt 82%
    Munich T2 13%
    Wheat 4%
    CaraMunich T1 1%


    Mash in at 64C for 35min, raise to 72C for 25min, mash out at 78C
    Target OG 12.6P


    Hops (times are towards end of boil):
    Bittering for 25 IBU
    Centennial 15min 0.5 g/l
    Cascade 15min 0.5 g/l
    Centennial 5min 0.5 g/l
    Cascade 5min 0.5 g/l


    Boil for 60min


    Ferment with US05 at 18C

    Dry hop with:

    Citra 2 g/l
    Can someone be so kind to explain to me how I work out how much grain to use, and not percentages for a 18l batch?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #46
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_za1 View Post
    Can someone be so kind to explain to me how I work out how much grain to use, and not percentages for a 18l batch?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what Beersmith gives me ...

    Screenshot_21.jpg

    What software you using? It should be able to do the percentages for you
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  7. #47
    We will also need your systems efficiency to accurately calculate the exact amounts needed

  8. #48
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,395
    Im sure you said you use Brewfather software?

    This is the button you press to set percentages ....

    Screenshot_22.jpg

    So, you add all your fermentables in the recipe @ 1kg per ingredient ...
    then you click that button and change the percentage for each ...
    and boom ... Done
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    This is what Beersmith gives me ...

    Screenshot_21.jpg

    What software you using? It should be able to do the percentages for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    We will also need your systems efficiency to accurately calculate the exact amounts needed
    Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Im sure you said you use Brewfather software?

    This is the button you press to set percentages ....

    Screenshot_22.jpg

    So, you add all your fermentables in the recipe @ 1kg per ingredient ...
    then you click that button and change the percentage for each ...
    and boom ... Done
    Ok this is what I get. I think my effeciency is higher than 75% but let's go with this for now. Does this look right?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #50

    Your target og is 12.6 plato which is 1.051 gravity.

    Need to bump your amounts a bit

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •