Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    I see your IBUs are 12 - think should be nearer 38-40
    Yes, there should be a bittering addition (60min / start of boil), that accounts for 25 IBU's, this is not listed under the hops section (it is simply indicated as Bittering for 25 IBU), so it threw me as well the first time I tried to build this recipe in Brewfather.

Here is my interpretation for use with a GF30 system

killer_hop_example.jpg

Comment

Was also looking at the IBU confusion last night..From their website it says an IBU of 34.

https://www.madgiant.co.za/beer-type/red-ale/ ->>>(link says red ale, but takes you to the Killer Hop)

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
        Was also looking at the IBU confusion last night..From their website it says an IBU of 34.

https://www.madgiant.co.za/beer-type/red-ale/ ->>>(link says red ale, but takes you to the Killer Hop)
        I guess it depends on what their AA% is vs what ours are when brewing. If the bittering addition must be 25 IBU, then it stands to reason they have lower AA% for their 0.5 g/L boil additions. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Comment

Actually, I just saw that if I remove the 15min hopstand, it drops right down to 34 IBU, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
            Yes, there should be a bittering addition (60min / start of boil), that accounts for 25 IBU's, this is not listed under the hops section (it is simply indicated as Bittering for 25 IBU), so it threw me as well the first time I tried to build this recipe in Brewfather.

Here is my interpretation for use with a GF30 system

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3349[/ATTACH]
            Added the bittering at 60min similar to your recipe. It Moved my IBU to 38, scaled to 34 gives me below -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You 100% sure the cascade is only 4.3% IBU .. usually they're about 8 ..
              Centennial at 10 and citra at 12 look fine.

My personal stach of those hops are Cascade 8.3, Centennial 10.5 anmd citra 13.1% AA ..

Comment

I recall a similiar conversion.
                There seem to be different formula for bittering and different crops of the same hop will differ in AA%.
                I base my bitteringon perception with the formula I have used since I started brewing.,
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

But you're suppose to adjust the ingredients in your software ... you cant just wing with what it shows you ...

I use the AA% and amounts the recipe says ... then i note the IBU's each gives ... I then change the AA% to what the LHBS have on offer and then change the amount needed to match the original recipe's IBU's

You have to adjust these things, otherwise the beer will be nowhere near what you intended to brew, cause as you say, crops differ year after year
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I agree with that, the problem here is that the recipe in this instance doesn't give the AA% or the IBU contributions for the 15 min and 5 min additions.
                    It only specifies the the weight / vol (0.5 g/L). So the only things we have to work with are that the bittering addition should give 25 IBU and the website states the total as 34 IBU. so the late hop additions should total 9 IBU. At this point, I think it becomes a bit of a guess. Luckily all 4 hop additions are the same so it makes guessing a bit easier.

Comment

Then there is the variance of what each IBU formula calculates ..

There are several formulas .. Rager, Tinseth, Daniels, Garetz .. and each calculate a different IBU value with quite a bit of a range. Anywhere between 30 and 40. Some/most calculators use an average of all formulas, others don't. Personally I like to use Tinseth exclusively. This way I know that 40IBU on my software is good for a pale ale.

So !! you MUST get used to YOUR tastebuds bitterness perception and the number your software spits out, then you'll get it dialed in.

Comment

@AlexBrew, agree 100% thats what I have done.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

So did anyone make this recently? What's your thoughts on it vs the real thing?

Comment

I found some at Makro in the week and Alex shared some of his that he made with me. Honest opinion I preferred Alex's over the real thing, not that the real thing was bad. I just thought alex's was better.

Comment

Nice... @alex was your recipe as per the 1st page of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                                I found some at Makro in the week and Alex shared some of his that he made with me. Honest opinion I preferred Alex's over the real thing, not that the real thing was bad. I just thought alex's was better.
                                Probably because Alex's was fresher. Honestly.

Comment

Working...
                                X