Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern aroma use

Hi all :drunk:

I am thinking of possibly using Southern aroma in ESB, Irish red or possibly even in a Belgian dark strong ale.
    I have never used Southern aroma, only Star and Passion.
    I can get 1kg for R197.80 form SAB Hop farms which is a lot cheaper than Fuggles, East Kent, Hallertauer, Tettnang etc.

Anyone have any experience, advice, suggestions in this regard.

Thanks
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Ill go with S.Aroma in a ESB that allows for a light hop presence and the subtle fruitiness in S Aroma will add a interesting hop character to a ESB, use restraint about 1g/l not later than 20 min would be ballpark what I would go for ito late hopping.

You want low hop presence in a Red and I think that the slight fruityness that I get from S.aroma will clash with the roasted malts in a Red, stay with English hops EKG all the way for a Red.

I use S. Aroma in my Lite Lagers, Pilsners and also just used it in a Helles that I'm currently fermenting. Buy it and send me half a kilo [emoji38]

Ps. I copied this from a previous post that I made regarding S. Aroma:

I would have to group noble hops together
    I would group S. Aroma and Hallertau Hersbrucker together (Floral/light fruity/citrus/spicy)

I would also group Saaz and Tett together (spicy/slightly floral/earthy/herbal)

(S.aroma is less spicy compared to Saaz but with similar floral notes with a added fruitiness)( S.aroma is less earthy/herbal than Tettnang and again a bit more floral and citrusy fruit)
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 14 June 2018, 13:29.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I've used it quite a bit and I really like it. I've used it on various german lagers and saisons for which I think it is quite well suited.
      I don't think it has the earthiness and complex spiciness to compare to fuggles or EKG but it I think it can produce passable results, possibly with a little experimentation on amounts and boil times.
      I've also used it extensively for bittering on on many European styles because of it's low cohumulone level. I'd say normal rules apply as per other SAB varieties - don't boil more than 40 minutes.

Comment

Working...
      X