X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    ST-1000 only R380 from Rebel Pets...

https://rebelpets.co.za/shop/all-pro...re-controller/
    Nearly got upset that I paid too much on Takealot but with shipping the R380 would be R515 so I saved R16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
      mmmm, didn't do it this way. You're on your own

No No, you getting me wrong ... I can wire a STC1000 with my eyes closed ....

It's the stupid idea of calling a black wire live ... why would electricians go that route since the discovery of electricity

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        No No, you getting me wrong ... I can wire a STC1000 with my eyes closed ....

It's the stupid idea of calling a black wire live ... why would electricians go that route since the discovery of electricity

When I lived in the Okavango delta, there was an issue with the wiring of the lights on the path to the guest tents at the lodge I was managing. An electrician came out to assist. I’m not one. At all. He taught me an easy way to remember why brown is live; if you touch it, you’ll leave a brown mark in your underwear.

Comment

• Fermentation chamber

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
          This YouTube video looks like a decent explanation and includes heating too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6RT9QFxdZpQ

I wired my STC like in the video with two female three prong sockets to plug my fridge and heating pad into. Works perfectly, and no need to mess with the fridge wiring. It’s been going since last night and varies between 17,7 and 18 degrees and I can hear the airlock bubbling happily inside.

Mouter
          Last edited by Mouter; 15 September 2020, 07:53.

Comment

• I am at a crossroads, my freezer has been my fermentation chamber, but with the kegging it is now also a keezer.. I am not sure how to proceed with this, as I want to drink beer and also ferment. I don't have space for just a fridge, as it will take away my current work space.

I am sure others have ended up in the same situation, what did you compromise on and what options are out there.. Having a fridge as part of the fermentation seems to be almost required as the summer temps are approaching, unless I use kveik or look into pressure fermentation? Perhaps a cheaper outcome than getting an undercounter fridge with work space on top.. or looking at glycol chillers and the likes.

Comment

• Had the same issue but more space available so I've got 2 fridges. One for ferm on for serving

Comment

• My keezer doubles up for cold crashing, I do have a second fridge for fermentation, but mainly use it to heat and have an enclosed space for the kveiks, I'm sure it cools now and then to maintain temp, just haven't heard it or seen it cool in a long time. I bought one of those bosch single fridge things so I can have two fermentors in at the same time. In retrospect, two barlike fridges would have been better for different styles. Then again, I'm looking into a 50l fermentor that will fit the space and the barfridge would be too small...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                  I am at a crossroads, my freezer has been my fermentation chamber, but with the kegging it is now also a keezer.. I am not sure how to proceed with this, as I want to drink beer and also ferment. I don't have space for just a fridge, as it will take away my current work space.

I am sure others have ended up in the same situation, what did you compromise on and what options are out there.. Having a fridge as part of the fermentation seems to be almost required as the summer temps are approaching, unless I use kveik or look into pressure fermentation? Perhaps a cheaper outcome than getting an undercounter fridge with work space on top.. or looking at glycol chillers and the likes.
                  Go with kveik in summer, so you don't have to worry about temps. Takes away the need for a fermentation chamber in summer. In winter it's easy to keep temps constant with other means. I haven't fermented in my fridge for months now (because it was winter).

Comment

• +1 Go for Kveik .... Get a reptile pad on a STC-1000 and ferment inside a cardboard box

Insulate the box with some Styrofoam ... ala-fermentation chamber.
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                      Had the same issue but more space available so I've got 2 fridges. One for ferm on for serving
                      I was looking at those "Mini Ladies" for serving/dispensing, pretty expensive!

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      I'm looking into a 50l fermentor that will fit the space and the barfridge would be too small...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                      Yeah I am not sure whether the worktop undercounter fridges will be high enough to fit a fermentor, the single fridges seems to be better for that idea. 50L is really decent size batch, what fermentor are you looking at?

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      Go with kveik in summer, so you don't have to worry about temps. Takes away the need for a fermentation chamber in summer. In winter it's easy to keep temps constant with other means. I haven't fermented in my fridge for months now (because it was winter).
                      Yeah it seems that you have to adapt to the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        +1 Go for Kveik .... Get a reptile pad on a STC-1000 and ferment inside a cardboard box

Insulate the box with some Styrofoam ... ala-fermentation chamber.
                        Same thing i do but with fish tank filled with water and aquarium heater
                        TheLazyFisherman
                        Last edited by TheLazyFisherman; 15 September 2020, 11:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                          Yeah I am not sure whether the worktop undercounter fridges will be high enough to fit a fermentor, the single fridges seems to be better for that idea. 50L is really decent size batch, what fermentor are you looking at?
                          The ones I want I cant have; perhaps have one fabricated with some of these features
                          - double walled s/s with cooling and heating (glycol and heat bands)
                          - conical with butterfly valves to dump trub
                          - ability to fill and insert a co2 blasted container for dry hop additions
                          - withstand pressure fermentation and transfers
                          - easy to clean

bastard lovechild of a spike flex and ss brewtech with a sprinking of gf conical (although I really dont like the gf conical)

whatever you do don't click here https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/brite-tanks-1 it will cause you pain...now i want one of these
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 15 September 2020, 11:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            The ones I want I cant have; perhaps have one fabricated with some of these features
                            - double walled s/s with cooling and heating (glycol and heat bands)
                            - conical with butterfly valves to dump trub
                            - ability to fill and insert a co2 blasted container for dry hop additions
                            - withstand pressure fermentation and transfers
                            - easy to clean

bastard lovechild of a spike flex and ss brewtech with a sprinking of gf conical (although I really dont like the gf conical)

whatever you do don't click here https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/brite-tanks-1 it will cause you pain...now i want one of these
                            Probably a little small for you but these look really nice feature wise.
                            https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/pro...sure-fermenter

Alternatively you could always get something like a brewjacket and let that sort out the temps?
                            https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/pro...rmenter-jacket

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              yeah.... eina pyn.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                                An operational fridge with a STC-1000 and 25W seedling heating pad is exactly what I use for my fermentations, works great.
                                used the same for years

Comment

Working...
                                X