No announcement yet.

Fermentation chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody looked at "Wine Coolers", some cheaper ones keep on popping up on fb market place now and then. I just can't always find internal pictures to see if they also have a big "hump" that won't help with a bucket and airlock in there.

Comment

• They usually have racks and stuff inside them. And they're pricey. And they rarely go to freezing. I'd just buy a fridge and be done with it. I bought an upright fridge and matching freezer for R800 not long ago. Both work fine. Now I have a massive ferm chamber (fits two fermenters easily) as well as a freezer for home use. Win-win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        They usually have racks and stuff inside them. And they're pricey. And they rarely go to freezing. I'd just buy a fridge and be done with it. I bought an upright fridge and matching freezer for R800 not long ago. Both work fine. Now I have a massive ferm chamber (fits two fermenters easily) as well as a freezer for home use. Win-win.
        Ideally I want an under counter/bar one, these almost looked like they might have some more space than a regular one. I went and had a look at a 150L Kelvinator earlier, same problem hump with motor takes up too much space. My wife gave me a budget and something that we can re-use once we do some renovations, I am also considering a catering fridge, found one that should fit, but wanted to perhaps see if I can't find two individual smaller ones, which gives more flexibility without having to DIY something in the interim.

Comment

• I went the route of taking a bar fridge, removed the freezer and bent the cooling plate down which gives enough space for a fermentor bucket standing on top of the hump. I had to cut the protrusions on the inside of the door off and cover the exposed foam with fiberglass. It works well for fermenting but the compressor works too hard when cold crashing and It won't last. I think the wine cooler will be the same if not worse. I've since bought a chest freezer and it's a much better solution - better insulation and a stronger compressor. Now I ferment in the fridge and coldcrash and lager in the chest freezer. My 2c.

Comment

• I just took a big (regular) fridge. Door says 354l but I guess that's a bit of a stretch. It holds two fermenters, beers, yeast, soft drinks and sometimes even snacks for me. It's worth it. Trust me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I just took a big (regular) fridge. Door says 354l but I guess that's a bit of a stretch. It holds two fermenters, beers, yeast, soft drinks and sometimes even snacks for me. It's worth it. Trust me.
              Fine for largers maybe but I brew mainly ales and I don't fancy keeping my soft drinks and beers at 18 degrees. I am not British. Even larger ferment temps are too high.

My fermentation chamber is just that.... A fermentation chamber. My keezer pulls the occasional double duty but it is at 1.5 degrees

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• When I lager I keep all my stuff at 2°C. I've actually got a bar fridge now that I use for drinks when I'm using the big fridge for temp control again.

Comment

Working...
                X