Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Fermentation chamber

Hi

I am thinking of building a fermenter chamber for cooling and heating.
    It will cater for 2 fermenters and about 100 440ml / 60 750ml bottles. Approx dimensions (1m X 0.7m X 0.7m)
    Max cost should be no more than R2000.
    Thinking of using light bulbs for heating or some type of heater / heating pad ?.
    For cooling a thermoelectric peltier refrigeration cooling kit from communica (http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P3265877730). However this unit uses 12V. This being the case it would be simpler to have everything working from 12V.
    I see the STC-1000 temperature controller is a 220V unit.
    Anyone know of a 12V temperature controller that can control cooling and heating ?.
    Any other generel input will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Hi

It will cater for 2 fermenters and about 100 440ml / 60 750ml bottles. Approx dimensions (1m X 0.7m X 0.7m)
    Thinking of using light bulbs for heating or some type of heater / heating pad ?.
    For cooling a thermoelectric peltier refrigeration cooling kit from communica (http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P3265877730). However this unit uses 12V. This being the case it would be simpler to have everything working from 12V.
    Anyone know of a 12V temperature controller that can control cooling and heating ?.

And old fridge or chest freezer with a controller will work better. Peltier modules are quite "meh", and more built for stuff like in-car cooler boxes and not really long-term use like you're planning.

210 liter chest freezer R1000 (Gumtree or free if you use grandma’s )
    Themostat R150

Wife’s desk lamp Free

Fermentation and lagering chamber done R1150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 ... That thermoelectric peltier kit from communica is good enough to cool a box made for a case of beers

Had a mini-fridge with one of those setups ... struggled to keep beer cold ... i'd say it made more for wine-coolers
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Hi

Hi Beerholic,
    My cabinet is about 500x600x700 which I use for fermentation of one 25l bucket at a time. I bolted the Peltier 'lid' from a 50w Thermo cooler box to the side of the cabinet. It does the job but in the peak for summer the unit runs almost continuously. I think the communica 60w unit would struggle with your size, especially loading in 100 warm bottles. My lamp setup however, works a charm. I actually had to hunt down a lowest possible wattage bulb as the temps would spike otherwise
    Last edited by Langchop; 9th July 2018 at 17:21. Reason: Type apnea
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Oh, and STC1000 is available in 12v. Most HBS just keep the 220v tho. Try bidorbuy as a starting point, but those are usually imported at your risk, albeit often cheaper.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

AtronSeige
    Another place that sells stc "like" stuff is https://za.rs-online.com/web/

Have a look!

Old freezer... brewcraft dual temp controller... 2 x reptile pads... duct tape and perfect heat or cold temp control...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

^ Nice little freezer that

.... and welcome to the forums
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Thanks

I agree after fiurther serearch thye peltier will not work for may size. Back to drawing board.
    The reason for a fermentation chamber and not fredge is optimazation of space. I will only be doing ales so do not really need temps below 20 celcius.