Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangrove jacks M29 Saison Yeast

Hi there,

I'm about to make my first attempt at a saison and from the research ive been doing it seems that the yeast has to be the starring ingredient, which is fine with me as long as its the right yeast!
    With that in mind, i would like to know if anyone has tried the mangrove jacks m29 yeast?
    Ive only ever used their belgian tripel yeast and i didnt like the flavour profile much at all! Was very clovey even though i allowed it to get hot. It also threw a lot of sulphur during fermentation which took forever to disappear

Also as far as i know, this is the only saison yeast that my LHBS carries. Thats my main reason for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaquesdrum View Post
      Also as far as i know, this is the only saison yeast that my LHBS carries. Thats my main reason for asking.
      No idea on the Mangrove Jack's yeast. But let me know if you give it a shot. Be sure to check the expiry date. From what I understand, this is not really the type of yeast you want to under pitch with the hope of more yeast flavor. I'm also busy with my first saison. Using a Crescat strain. Should check this weekend on gravity. There's some interesting reading out there concerning the stalling of Saison strains. My fermentation started as normal within 12 hours but started slowing already after 48 (This was a week ago). I did a semi-open fermentation thereafter. No idea what to expect.

Comment

I've done a few saison's and to be honest all have turned out well. I've used Belle Saison, Saison du Gard (from Plato) and most recently Be-134 from Fermentis. (BevPlus stock this in 11.5g sachets and they have a branch in midrand if that's near by)

I've used several Mangrove Jacks yeasts also with great results, though not the saison (M84 bohemiam Lager is my go to lager strain).

If you do go MJ Saison, let us know how you get on!

PS Note there recommended fermentation temp!
        https://mangrovejacks.com/collection...ion-yeast-10-g
        camsaway
        Last edited by camsaway; 22 August 2018, 19:56.

Comment

Thanks for the input, ill give it a shot and report back with the results!

Comment

I've used the MJ French Saison yeast with great results. All the expected flavors were present and balanced. I was very happy with the results and got great feedback from the tasting at the JHB meeting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used the MJ French saison yeast a few times. Lovely orange peel and white pepper flavors. However, some other brewers found a strong banana nose when the beer was young, but that also seemed to settle with time.
              Regarding fermentation, this is a real work horse. It dried the beer out very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                I've used the MJ French saison yeast a few times. Lovely orange peel and white pepper flavors. However, some other brewers found a strong banana nose when the beer was young, but that also seemed to settle with time.
                Regarding fermentation, this is a real work horse. It dried the beer out very well.
                I found banana flavours when i ferment too hot.
                Back when i just started, i would pitch yeast at 22-24 degrees, and wait for the fridge to get it down to 18. Had that with most ale yeasts. Mostly english yeasts, since the 1st year of brewing i only focused on trying to clone hobgoblin. Never succeeded.

It really tasted, and smelled like those brown over ripe bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                  I found banana flavours when i ferment too hot.
                  Back when i just started, i would pitch yeast at 22-24 degrees, and wait for the fridge to get it down to 18. Had that with most ale yeasts. Mostly english yeasts, since the 1st year of brewing i only focused on trying to clone hobgoblin. Never succeeded.

It really tasted, and smelled like those brown over ripe bananas.
                  So i'm thinking... Pitch at a slightly lower temp and then allow it to climb?

Comment

M29 is an absolute workhorse, got my wort down from 1.060 to 1.002 great peppery and citrus flavour on the nose. Works well in conjunction with Citra hops, making a beer similar to the tank 7 farmhouse ale or The Franschoek Beer Co La Saison.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHeydenrych View Post
                      M29 is an absolute workhorse, got my wort down from 1.060 to 1.002 great peppery and citrus flavour on the nose. Works well in conjunction with Citra hops, making a beer similar to the tank 7 farmhouse ale or The Franschoek Beer Co La Saison.
                      Did you perhaps take note of what sort of fermentation temps you had going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaquesdrum View Post
                        Did you perhaps take note of what sort of fermentation temps you had going on?
                        I pitched at 18C, let it rise to 20C for the first 4 days then pushed it to 24C for the last 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHeydenrych View Post
                          I pitched at 18C, let it rise to 20C for the first 4 days then pushed it to 24C for the last 2 days.
                          I suspected that might be the way to go... Thanks a lot!

Comment

Hi guys. This is my first time I actually observed this particular yeast strain during active fermentation. I’ve never seen a Krausen like this before. Is this normal or is my beer infected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks OK.

Im more OCD about the stuff on the lid and groves on that bucket ... my FV must be sparkling clean, but thats just me
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                              X