Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with extract breewing

Hi All,

So I progressed to all grain brewing quite some time age, but sometimes I do still make the occasional extract beer if I do not have time for a full brew day. However, I have been running into some issues with it. Very often the fermentation gets stuck, or it just does not even start fermenting (or it takes 3-4 days to start and then gets stuck.

I always boil 5L of water, add about 2kg of liquid malt extract and 1kg of dry malt extract and give it a good mix to make sure everything is dissolved. Then I add 20L of ice cold water (should be high in oxygen) and give it a proper mix again. This brings the temperature to the 18-22 degrees Celsius range.

I also re hydrate my yeast and then pitch it.

I made 2 extract beers on Saturday, using the same method, the wheat beer started fermenting on Saturday and the IPA is still not fermenting (no krausen or bubbles or anything).

Anyone know why I consistently get failed or stuck fermentation? Any advice?

When you say 'proper mix'...what do you mean? Are you stirring or splashing it around violently? Maybe try stirring 'down' to entrain air down into the wort.

Also be aware that just because water CAN hold more oxygen when cold, doesnt mean it DOES have more, and depends on how much it has actually been oxygenated/ aerated.

What temp is the water you are rehydrating with at? Its usually a bit higher than the fermenting temps from what I have seen, just to give the yeast a boost. What yeasts did you use?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Thank you for the response Lang,

With proper mixing I mean splashing it around violently. So in the 5 litre of boiled water I add the extract and stir until dissolved and then I splash for a while (sometimes a few drops land on the floor as a result). Then I add the first 5 litre of cold water and stir and splash, then the next five litre and stir and splash and repeat until the all the water is in, the fuller the fermenter the less I can splash, but I try my best.

I use RO water that I buy at spar (tap it from the tank where they pump air through so the oxygen content of the water should be ok to begin with)

I re-hydrate my yeast according to manufacturer instruction (usually around 27 degrees), after it is hydrated I slowly cool it to pitching temp to make sure it doesn't get shocked going form 27 to 21 degrees.
      Until now the yeast that seems to give me the most issues is the mangrove jack strains. I don't think you can trust the yeast that comes with the extract kits, not even if it is a proper mangrove jack yeast as opposed to the no name brand you sometimes get.

Comment

Im afraid those are the only obvious things I can think of. Hope the elders can give you more wisdom
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I used one of those mangrove jack yeast packets with my ginger beer that turned into risky business with what you could probably a stalled fermentation. So i think i would agree with you that those packets should not be trusted.

I cant say ive ever oxygenated to that extent ever and ive had great success with extract brewing.

P.S. i almost always buy a specialty yeast to get the best out of my tin which is why i had the pack left to play with.

Cheers
          Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2c on mangrove Jack's yeast... Super slow laggy yeast with questionable outcome based on the cider I made. Fermentis for the win and looking forward to my liquid yeasts (kveik) arrival later this week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice research artikels on "kveik"

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/391.html

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html
              AlexC
              Last edited by AlexC; 7 November 2018, 13:34.

Comment

Great articles, I read them this afternoon. It is an amazing yeast and I'm dead keen to give it it a go

Comment

I think your problem was with the word RO. That water is very clean, and your yeast needs nutrients. Check if the water has any chemicals added back (like zinc, calcium, etc), otherwise you will have to add some yourself.

I use a yeast nutrient on all my beers (because I have it), and I would suggest maybe looking into using that.

Finally: The yeast: Are you using the yeast that comes with the extract, or a different "new" yeast?

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback guys, I guess the takehome message is be careful with MJ yeast, especially if it comes with the extract kit (cos who knows how that was stored) and always have a backup pack of yeast in the fridge (which luckily I did)

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                      I think your problem was with the word RO. That water is very clean, and your yeast needs nutrients.
                      I do add minerals to all my beers, and nutrients if I have it available. My water profile has not been an issue for any other yeast, only MJ (both "fresh" and the one that comes with the kit)

Comment

Mostly do all grain, but just as you DR_Beer I occasionaly do an extract due to time limits. Twice used the yeast that came with the kit and both times had issues, fermentation would get stuck. I now never use the yeast that comes with the kit. I mostly use Mangrove Jacks yeast purchased from Brewcraft and in over 30 brews have never had issues.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I exclusively use RO water, both boil and sparge, no issues there. No nutrients either. In fact my English ale started active fermentation 8 hours after a dry yeast s04 pitch. Perhaps other MJ yeasts are okay, the cider one worked, eventually, near on three weeks later.

I'm steering clear of MJ, fermentis or my liquid yeasts from here on out. I don't want to risk a successful brew day on questionable yeasts.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            I exclusively use RO water, both boil and sparge, no issues there. No nutrients either.
                            If you do all grain, then the yeast get all the nutrients from the malt. So RO is not a problem (usually).

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            I'm steering clear of MJ, fermentis or my liquid yeasts from here on out. I don't want to risk a successful brew day on questionable yeasts.
                            Then what yeast are you using? I have had no issues with Mangove Jack or Fermentis (as long as they are stored cool).

Comment

That came out wrong, I really like fermentis and am having a go with liquid yeasts.
                              I can't comment too much on MJ, I only tried to it once, so it's not fair to give it a hard time time.

You're correct, I only have a done all grain brews, and am using RO as it makes sense in Cape Town. When boiling tap in the kettle I get a tonne of calcium deposits...

Comment

Working...
                              X