Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    Comments written above
    The sodastream is not "impractical". It is actually very practical. But for daily/regular use, you will probably run through cylinders quite quickly.

I am planning on getting the sodastream setup for my jockey box. Hopefully the Hogfather read my wish list, then I may just have the setup by the end of the year.

Comment

How much does the Sodastream refill cost?

Game website shows R259 for exchange 60 L cylinder, doesn't sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
        How much does the Sodastream refill cost?

Game website shows R259 for exchange 60 L cylinder, doesn't sound right.
        You basically buy the new bright shiny pretty cylinder full of gas for that price. Enjoy the novelty and prettiness while it lasts cos then you hand it in for a 'swopout' refill which is a secondhand cylinder from someone else. If I remember correctly it costs around R150 for the refill swopout for the biggun 60L. So call it R109 for lifetime rental.

From figures I have seen toyed about, I think it works out to about 4 times the price of general CO2 refilling of extinguisher tanks.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

For R150 you can fill a 5KG CO² Cylinder
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            For R150 you can fill a 5KG CO² Cylinder
            Okay so roughly ten times the price. Gulp
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I pay R21 to fill a 2kg extinguisher this is washout 4 times the volume of a sodastream cylinder so it would be 151/21 x 4, or 29 times the cost

The 60l sodastream cylinder claims to be for carbonating 45l of soft drink. Adding in all the purging and use for delivery you are probably only looking at one per full keg, with maybe enough to use to purge your next keg.

It sounds just too expensive considering there are better alternatives out there.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
              atunguyd
              Last edited by atunguyd; 10 November 2018, 08:10.

Comment

Having just dispensed 20L of beer on the Shosholoza Express between JHB and CT using a Sodastream 60 for Africa Brew 2018, I think I can talk with some authority.............

The Sodastream option is great for mobility but not practical when it comes to price.
                Also, the regulator tends to "creep" regardless of your regulator setting and you end up having an over-carbonated keg. Not sure if this is normal and related to the Sodastream gas pressure. I used an inline JG tap to avoid the problem: shut the tap until the dispensing pressure drops and then open.

I'd say a small 2kg CO2 extinguisher would do a better, cheaper job while also being small enough. You'd just need a proper tap and a dual gauge regulator. But you can't beat the Sodastream for lightness.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  Wow that sounds like the perfect home bar. Would you mind sharing some pics? Although i have to say at roughly R9k that's not likely to be in my Christmas sock.

Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                  Forgot to post this, the cider is a bit removed from the beer taps, well I buggered up on measuring... Enough space for a 4th keg or cold crash if I'm not at capacity. Drip tray needed, but using my spent grain / meat tray to catch the errant drops.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    Forgot to post this, the cider is a bit removed from the beer taps, well I buggered up on measuring... Enough space for a 4th keg or cold crash if I'm not at capacity. Drip tray needed, but using my spent grain / meat tray to catch the errant drops.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                    You raised the lid with spacer panels? It might be common, but either way, I like that. Its clever... No permanent damage to freezer.

Very neat setup
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did Bevtec just redo their website and branding. I have been to it before, it just doesn't look familiar.

Do they sell direct to public? I see they dont list any prices
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You raised the lid with spacer panels? It might be common, but either way, I like that. Its clever... No permanent damage to freezer.

Very neat setup
                        It's quite common practice, if you do a google a "Keezer" you'll find that it's a term dedicated to a "keg freezer" usually with a collar or spacer to create more head space. You could also fit a tower on the lid, but I chose not to - could be a mission to open close etc.
                        A "Kegerator" is a re-purposed Refrigerator, but you'll be drilling through the door or side panels.

I chose the Defy as you can turn a dial on the side to turn it into either a deep freezer, refrigerator or cooler, it won't win any prizes in the looks department, so it's living out of sight with all my brew gear and fermentation equipment. Function over form, although you get some really nice looking ones made with repurposed wine barrels

https://www.google.com/search?q=keezer

Comment

And now I understand what Keezer and Kegerator mean!
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did Bevtec just redo their website and branding. I have been to it before, it just doesn't look familiar.

Do they sell direct to public? I see they dont list any prices
                            Thats basically what I was on about in post #11

The site has been changed a while back, but it doesn't seem to work correctly?

The product page list the same item side by side and clicking details just makes the page "dull" without displaying any details and the + sign doesn't seem to add anything to a cart ?

I tried different browsers with the same effect. Anyone else?
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about back then cos I checked and I couldn't see anything different. Maybe they're in the process of going live with a new site and were flipping back and forth for testing?
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sorry, another question on the whole kegging setup:

If I understand correctly, if beer is served above about 3deg it foams up (https://www.kegworks.com/blog/temper...em-dispensing/), and also you need some degree of resistance through the hose tube or by elevation so the dispensing pressure at the tap isnt too high, at around 0.05 bar, and doesnt want to flow out too fast and give you a 'balanced' system? ( ref forum advice and same link as above)...

Would a chiller plate or coil in an icemaker sump, sized to give suitable resistance to flow and correct temp reduction, placed between the keg and the tap (ie basically a 'jockey box' from what I understand) satisfy the above requirements, or is it the entire keg itself that has to be kept cold?

TIA
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X