No announcement yet.

Irish creamy red ale kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If secret santa is reading this, one of these please : https://tilthydrometer.com/

You can hook this up to a raspberry pi webserver and check your fermentation real-time over the internet, I think brewkegtap sold them in ZA :-) The nerd in me wants one, the brewer too... I'm sure you can interface the sct1000 with the pi or an arduino to automate temp control in the ferm chamber, to rest and cold crash.

Here's another well worth it, longer read around dry hopping and it's effects http://scottjanish.com/dry-hopping-e...s-ibu-testing/ then if you're wondering around zero boil hopped and only dry hop beer, experiment here with neat lab tests http://scottjanish.com/zero-hot-side...ry-bitterness/ and a mention of the small ibu window in which dry hopping affects your ibu rating, either pushing it up or diminishing the count.

I haven't found any formulas around the alpha-acid content and hop amounts during the variable boil temps and times that will calculate what effects dry hopping will have on your final ibu rating either...but also haven't been looking for any...Sorry for the thread jacking...

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Man can you imagine getting home and your fermentation chamber let's you know with a message on your phone, beeeeep beer's done. X.x % alc. X% attenuation. The controller already increased temps 2 days ago for a diacetyl rest you can just go keg.

Man sounds good

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
      Or you can just buy beer... Set an alarm on your phone for beer...and grab a cold beer when the alarm goes off!
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        But adding the tea bags with hops to the fermenter is dry hopping, isn't it?
        Yes, but the way he did it as per the supplied recipe by boiling/steeping for 10min, it's NOT a dry-hop adding as per any recipe's definition of a DRY hop addition

With most software as soon as you select "dry hop" you can no longer input any time for boil/steep and the software changeover the time-frame to "days", in order to input the amount of days you plan to dry-hop inside the fermenter.

...but yea, you can add the hop tea with bag and all to the fermenter ... it's still a 10min hop adding (for this specific recipe)
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Technically not a dry hop, but I bet the end result will be a tasty beer. No one can argue with a tasty beer right?

I made a MJ cider kit and the instructions was a bit weird too. Adding the sweetener with fermentation (sugar free) I guess MJ skips some steps by keeping a single vessel in mind bought with a kit?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy beer? This thread is getting more interesting by the minute. Sensible advice, good research and now some well placed sarcasm, nice!

On a different note if recession Santa would just front me a keganator I wouldn't need 2 weeks for carbonation.

Comment

[emoji38] It doesn't make a squirrels fart of a difference, at the end you have beer that you made yourself. That's what I love about brewing, you choose your methods, in the end you have beer!

Comment

That's why I love that expression: "but is it beer?"

We love to get analytical and technical, but at the end of the day if you like the taste and it doesn't poison you, you have created something to be proud of.

I still have fond memories of my first brew being quite amazing but I often wonder if it wasn't actually quite crap and I was just awe struck at managing to make this mysterious beer thing all by myself in my own house!
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                  Or you can just buy beer... Set an alarm on your phone for beer...and grab a cold beer when the alarm goes off!
                  Oops. Wasnt meaning to be sarcastic, tho I am fluent in it. Just saying that there is something more satisfying about being somewhat hands on throughout the brewing stages.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Indeed, my first brew was a simple blonde, but managed to stuff up the hop ratio and ended up with a super malt forward, early fermented, sweet ale, not that I didn't like it, I loved every drop. It had no SAB or craft beer taste at all. Homebrewing is the best!

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                      Actually dryer hoping does add a little bit of bitterness (1-5 IBU). This is done through oxidation of alpha and beta acids as opposed to the normal isomerized alpha acids.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
                      As I read through what had become of my IRA thread I came across this. Apparently this is why newer hop strains have less Beta acids since they oxidize over time and change the taste, the alpha less so . Please ignore this comment of mine. I just read the link that explains this beautifully.

This is roughly my 10th brew (I know I should keep better records) but according to my memory my first beer was shockingly mediocre. To date I've only made 3 brews that I would actually pay money for.

jannieverjaar
                      Last edited by jannieverjaar; 12 December 2018, 06:25.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        If secret santa is reading this, one of these please : https://tilthydrometer.com/

You can hook this up to a raspberry pi webserver and check your fermentation real-time over the internet, I think brewkegtap sold them in ZA :-) The nerd in me wants one, the brewer too... I'm sure you can interface the sct1000 with the pi or an arduino to automate temp control in the ferm chamber, to rest and cold crash.
                        Right I want one too!
                        Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Build your own... Google ispindel

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

So I measured my sg to check if I reached the end of fermentation. And it was so cloudy you couldn't even make out it's an amber ale. So I had to add some gelatin yesterday. I also put it in the freezer just now. I'll remove it in 4 hours or so. It's my pseudo cold crash. For bottling tomorrow. Finished at 1012 the recipe predicted 1014 so with that and no bubbles since Friday I'm sure it's done. The sample tasted great! Real good balance of flavors. I cooled the sample and accidentally froze it but it cleared really well. Check the pix. Which made me think it just had a thick sediment layer and probably wasn't as bad as I thought. But I had added the finnings already....

I guess we'll only know in the new year

Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

She'll be right, your FG tells. I foresee a keg, tap, regulator and co2 canister in your future...

Comment

Cold crash (2 days) alone would drop the yeast out of suspension, possibly negating the need for finings. I've never fined before and have crystal clear beer within a fortnight in the keg, bottling will do the same as the first week outside takes care of the carbonation and the rest in the fridge is just conditioning. I may be wrong though?
                                First few days in the fridge drops the particulates, rest is flavor conditioning / aging?

Comment

Working...
                                X