Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping wort on to yeast cake

Hi everyone.
    I have a really dumb question here, but I have been brewing for 8 years now and I have never just dumped wort onto a yeast cake in the fermenter. I have always been more concerned about getting the fermenter 100% clean and sanitized for the next batch.
    My question relates to the muck left on the sides of the fermenter from the previous brew's krauzen. Do you at least clean this off before adding the new wort or do you leave it there?
    Like I said, it could be a silly question, but if I am going to try this I need to be sure.
    Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I have a really dumb question here, but I have been brewing for 8 years now and I have never just dumped wort onto a yeast cake in the fermenter. I have always been more concerned about getting the fermenter 100% clean and sanitized for the next batch.
    My question relates to the muck left on the sides of the fermenter from the previous brew's krauzen. Do you at least clean this off before adding the new wort or do you leave it there?
    Like I said, it could be a silly question, but if I am going to try this I need to be sure.
    Cheers [emoji482]

I wipe off the krauzen ring. Otherwise I just dump directly onto the yeast cake. To clarify, it happens soon after bottling - within an hour or so. The massive yeast colony should take care of any minor infections that might pop in from the air.

Comment

I do exactly as per Toxxyc method. I have used the same yeast cake for a maximum of five times. More than this and there is no head-space in my fermenter!

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Comment

I generally just dump on the yeast cake. I'm more worried of contaminating the fermenter by trying to clean it than what I am worried about the ring causing some contamination. Maybe have a read through the Yeast book if you would like more detail on how to be more technically correct on procedures with regards to yeast handling and re-using yeast.

https://www.takealot.com/yeast/PLID3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

General principles: Never re-use a yeast cake where the fermentation wasn't 100% healthy and never re-use yeast cake from a high gravity beer (above 6%). Don't dump a light beer on the yeast cake of a dark beer. I also do this immediately after bottling so the yeast is pretty fresh still at this stage.

Comment

Thank you. I ordered the book. Should make for some good reading.

Comment

I just dump straight onto the yeast cake with no attempt to clean ... I've done this for years now and the maximum amount of times is sitting at about 11x from one dry yeast packet .... the only time I use a new fermenter is when the trub gets too high (±5L mark) ... then I just scoop some over with a soup ladle into a clean fermenter and pour in the wort & Bob's your uncle. ... I also do dark onto light and light onto dark beers without picking up anything weird ... then again, Im brewing to drink, so who cares
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                I just dump straight onto the yeast cake with no attempt to clean ... I've done this for years now and the maximum amount of times is sitting at about 11x from one dry yeast packet .... the only time I use a new fermenter is when the trub gets too high (±5L mark) ... then I just scoop some over with a soup ladle into a clean fermenter and pour in the wort & Bob's your uncle. ... I also do dark onto light and light onto dark beers without picking up anything weird ... then again, Im brewing to drink, so who cares
                Haha, sounds familiar.[emoji23]

Comment

I am going to give it a try. I was concerned because I read somewhere that the ring causes unwanted bitterness if you leave it there. It seems that this is either bulldust or it is barely noticeable going by your replies. Both batches will be 100% Red X so it should be fine. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I haven't tried this myself, washing the yeast is fairly easy and removes a lot of trub. Which also means that you start again with a clean fermentation vessel, sans krausen and less old hop particles from the previous batch. Just be careful with sanitation and you'll be fine. I can't recall when last I bought a packet of yeast...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      I haven't tried this myself, washing the yeast is fairly easy and removes a lot of trub. Which also means that you start again with a clean fermentation vessel, sans krausen and less old hop particles from the previous batch. Just be careful with sanitation and you'll be fine. I can't recall when last I bought a packet of yeast...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                      So you are also just dumping onto the yeast cake at the moment?

Comment

I wash the yeast, then run it through a separatory funnel before using it again. Admittedly, propogated on the stir plate and split is much less effort

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          I wash the yeast, then run it through a separatory funnel before using it again. Admittedly, propogated on the stir plate and split is much less effort
                          I have to admit, I had to Google "separatory funnel" now. It is a nice looking piece of equipment. I tried the dumping onto the yeast cake thing today. The airlock is already happily bubbling away. I will have to wait for the end result before I decide for or against it.
                          I am a little concerned about the time it took to get the new wort onto the yeast cake. We have water restrictions here and they turned the water off just as I started running the wort chiller. Instead of an hour between emptying the fermented beer and adding the wort, it took closer to three hours. I kept the fermenter sealed during this time though, so I hope it turns out ok.

Comment

^ I've already had that yeast cake sit for ±48hrs at 2șC before I had new wort to add ... no problems ... I've heard about people from the other side of the pond that keeps it even longer.
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              ^ I've already had that yeast cake sit for ±48hrs at 2șC before I had new wort to add ... no problems ... I've heard about people from the other side of the pond that keeps it even longer.
                              Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.
                              I didn't keep it at 2 deg though. i kept it stable at 18 deg which is the temperature of the wort that was added to it.
                              I have to admit, I have never seen such an ACTIVE fermentation in one of my fermenters before.

Comment

Working...
                              X