No announcement yet.

Distillation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh I'm the same. During the peak production I run pretty slow but as time goes along I tend to bump the temp a tiny bit just to get all the way to 96 in my column

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      I'm going to give that a twirl, I've been running in "power mode" on the bluetooth/connect controller, but it does make sense to step it on pot temp to equalize to head temp whilst in full reflux. I'm assuming that your water flow is adjusted to take it out of full reflux after you've reached the end of each step? Do you keep outlet temp at it at around 55c?
      I get a decent flow on the water supply (using the needle valve on the little inline pump but I could use the standalone needle valve), let's say around a 50% flow through the column (you can see the flow on the transparent outflow pipe), and then I mostly ignore the outlet temp, because I realised the nature of reflux means the temp will go up & down all the time depending on the amount of distillate vapour in the column. If the outflow temp climbs too high (80 deg) then I tweak the flow, but NEVER lower than around 66 degrees.

Comment

• I see THIS is new at BeerLab

Simpsons' number one selling distilling malt.

The main ingredient in Single malt Whiskey production.
        2 – Row Spring, high yielding and what most Scotch/Japanese Pot Still Distillers use.

Moisture % 4.5
        Extract lt°/kg (7Dry) 315
        Colour °EBC 2 4
        Total Nitrogen % 1.40
        Total Soluble Nitrogen % 0.45 0.6
        Soluble Nitrogen Ratio 35 39
        Friability % 92
        Homogeniety % 98
        Glucan in Wort (ppm) 120
        NDMA (ppb) 0.3
        Fermentability % (un-boiled) 87
        Predicted Spirit Yield "as is basis" lt°/tonne 410
        Predicted Spirit Yield "dry basis" lt°/tonne 430

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
          groenspookasem
          Banned
          Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:32.

Comment

• Outlet - you mean your dripping distillate is never higher than 55°C? Because I keep mine ice cold. Literally. If I feel the dripping tube and it's not cold (like fridge water) to the touch, I either swap out the ice bottles or turn down the heat, or both.

Comment

groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:32.

Comment

• Ah, I see, so you measure your water outlet temp as well. I guess that's not applicable to someone who runs a coil cooler in an ice bucket

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  Ah, I see, so you measure your water outlet temp as well. I guess that's not applicable to someone who runs a coil cooler in an ice bucket
                  oh God no, we're not cave men Wynand

Comment

• I think there's a certain appeal to doing things "caveman style". Think of a braai. MEAT. ON FIRE. EAT MEAT OFF FIRE. Hmmmm...

Comment

I think there's a certain appeal to doing things "caveman style". Think of a braai. MEAT. ON FIRE. EAT MEAT OFF FIRE. Hmmmm...
                      TURN MEAT WITH FINGERS, LICK FINGERS, REPEAT

Comment

• Then your fire isn't hot enough. To get a lekker Maillard reaction you need a HOT fire. Sizzling fat. Can't turn that shit with fingers.

Comment

Then your fire isn't hot enough. To get a lekker Maillard reaction you need a HOT fire. Sizzling fat. Can't turn that shit with fingers.
                          after enough dop anything is possible

Comment

• Great. Found this thread again. Going to be posting a bit more, I hope. This bug has bitten and I really need to get a bigger still!

Comment

groenspookasem
                              Banned
                              Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:33.

Comment

• I think that's the big difference. I was heavily into whiskies before I started brewing beer, so this is like a renewed love for me. Being able to make the thing I've been loving for so long is fantastic.

Anyway, my next big thing (beside the whiskies, obviously) will be a distilled honey drink. I'm not sure how I'm going to get there purely because of the price of honey, but I guess we'll see someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I plan on making a distillate and then backsweetening it with honey, similar to the Jack Daniels Tenessee Honey. Maybe that's a good place to start - an all-grain distillate, placed on charred oak to sweeten out, proofed down to around 40%, maybe a bit less, and then sweetened with honey. I want it to be a relatively sweet "on the rocks" sipper.

Comment

Working...
                                X