Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Distillation

Was actually thinking I'll just take the Dremel and work it out. It doesn't need to be big - 15mm for now, just to fit the 15mm compression fitting. Also comes with a seal that works well, so a bit more rough cut is fine.

Limoncello 28% finally bottled after more than 40 days on the zest. Just popped it in the freezer, that's the natural color. Looking forward to taste this
    20201020_192400.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

That looks pretty neat. I'd love to see the recipe for this? Seems like a simpler thing to make...

liqueurs are stupid easy to make if you dont still you can use off the shelf vodka too. i made a super clean neutral, reflux strip then 3x through the filter and used the reflux for the spirit run. i diluted some of this from 93% to get to 2l at 50%. carefully peel or zest lemons, about 13, ensure no pith. add lemon peel/zest to your 2l and leave for 40 days. i forgot about it and left it for about 55. diluted with a simple sugar syrup to 28% then bottled and into the freezer. that's it.

i'm sure if i left it at 93% the extraction from the lemon would have taken a few days only, but i also made galliano and some cream liqueurs from the neutral. i still have about 400ml at 93% left so a little goes a long way

Yeah 93% is a pretty number. I don't think I've stilled over 80% yet. Then again, I'm not big into neutrals. Got some neutral vodka at home. Maybe I'll try this, but perhaps with a different fruit. Sweeter fruit, like orange or naartjie. Guess it'll be the same thing. Not too big on lemon, so I was more wondering about the process.

that t500 reflux column is pretty efficient. keep i mind the sugar syrup is thick viscous and sweet af. pretty much 50% sugar 50% water. have you had limoncello before, it's delicious and summer is coming. the missus loves limoncello lemonade on a hot day, it's pretty good.

i'm keen to make a grapefruit version of this for a pampelmuse, but use the juice to dissolve the sugar instead of water for the syrup. but yeah orangecello is a thing and mandarin will work well too. i'm also mad keen to make some cynar, love that stuff and it's not available safrica

As I said I'm more interested in the process than anything else. I'm actually looking at making a honeyed one, maybe with a tiny dash of cinnamon. I woulnd't mind pairing it with a specific fruit as well, but I'm still in two minds

i'm into liqueurs right now, it's easy and i'm bored with distilling so there's that.
    i have an unopened bottle of glenfiddich malt somewhere, but iirc i wasn't overly impressed with it back then. the jack daniels honey liqueur is a bit sweet for my liking, but cinnamon could help make it more fireball-y. i'll pull some of my bourbon that's aging and make some bourbon liqueur with it, could be nice - could be rubbish