Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Distillation

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    OK so see, that I didn't know. I know about the unwanted crap in the heads/foreshots or whatever they're called, so I keep them aside (I don't know what I'm planning to do with it, but anyway). I didn't know there's crap in the tails as well. What sort of stuff is in there? I'm not someone who gets hungover easily, but I don't want to make other people sick with my stuff.

I found quite a bit of alcohol still in my wash when I hit 94C in the column. Maybe it's a thermometer thing or something, still design, I dunno. At 94C though what drips out of the cooler is still pretty damn strong. Like 35% ABV strong. I've tested it before. It only starts dropping off once I hit around 95C, which is why I go all the way to 96C.
    It's a rabbit hole, enlightening though ! I'll look for the papers and my research of the fractional components in each stage of distillation. From memory, lots of unwanted acids and esters of which aldehydes and ketones form larger fractions proportionate to heads and late stage hearts. Furfural was one I remember, carcinogenic in nature (as is everything these days) The biggest elephant in the room is that with *any* commercial/craft distillation is the inability to completely remove these harmful things. It's just impossible. You'll find trace amounts of methanol at each stage on each run and varying amounts of fractions in each stage, but foreshots/heads and tails is the worst.

I'm of the idea to only take the cleanest (hearts) from alembic runs and filter to death all neutral. It does go without saying that fruit distillation carries higher quantities of harmful compounds, but dont quote my patchy memory

I wanted to add; you could extract everything that put in, but the cost of gas/electricity or time is your decider. I'm usually gatvol after hearts and run the tails a lot hotter/faster and to hell with the rest
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 15th September 2020 at 16:09.

Heh I'm the same. During the peak production I run pretty slow but as time goes along I tend to bump the temp a tiny bit just to get all the way to 96 in my column

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I'm going to give that a twirl, I've been running in "power mode" on the bluetooth/connect controller, but it does make sense to step it on pot temp to equalize to head temp whilst in full reflux. I'm assuming that your water flow is adjusted to take it out of full reflux after you've reached the end of each step? Do you keep outlet temp at it at around 55c?
    I get a decent flow on the water supply (using the needle valve on the little inline pump but I could use the standalone needle valve), let's say around a 50% flow through the column (you can see the flow on the transparent outflow pipe), and then I mostly ignore the outlet temp, because I realised the nature of reflux means the temp will go up & down all the time depending on the amount of distillate vapour in the column. If the outflow temp climbs too high (80 deg) then I tweak the flow, but NEVER lower than around 66 degrees.

I see THIS is new at BeerLab

Simpsons' number one selling distilling malt.

The main ingredient in Single malt Whiskey production.
    2 – Row Spring, high yielding and what most Scotch/Japanese Pot Still Distillers use.

Min Max
    Moisture % 4.5
    Extract lt/kg (7Dry) 315
    Colour EBC 2 4
    Total Nitrogen % 1.40
    Total Soluble Nitrogen % 0.45 0.6
    Soluble Nitrogen Ratio 35 39
    Friability % 92
    Homogeniety % 98
    Glucan in Wort (ppm) 120
    NDMA (ppb) 0.3
    Fermentability % (un-boiled) 87
    Predicted Spirit Yield "as is basis" lt/tonne 410
    Predicted Spirit Yield "dry basis" lt/tonne 430

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I get a decent flow on the water supply (using the needle valve on the little inline pump but I could use the standalone needle valve), let's say around a 50% flow through the column (you can see the flow on the transparent outflow pipe), and then I mostly ignore the outlet temp, because I realised the nature of reflux means the temp will go up & down all the time depending on the amount of distillate vapour in the column. If the outflow temp climbs too high (80 deg) then I tweak the flow, but NEVER lower than around 66 degrees.
    i found the element does not keep the heat constant enough and you have small peaks and troughs which accounts for the variance of vapor in the column. i should actually hookup that voltage controller i have. i never go over 55c on outlet though, i've seen oN tHe InTeRnEt blokes keep stable at 63c, 66c is too high for me, but that could be a coast thing. the product is hot with a 'wash' taste to it at higher temps. i use the flowbin and a choked submersible pump behind the needle valve. still a pita though, but keen to try your 'step' method.

Outlet - you mean your dripping distillate is never higher than 55C? Because I keep mine ice cold. Literally. If I feel the dripping tube and it's not cold (like fridge water) to the touch, I either swap out the ice bottles or turn down the heat, or both.

Not quite, the reflux is a bit different than the pot. On the t500 reflux you're measuring your water outlet temp, not vapor/head temp. I keep mine constant at 55c , the older t500s had an extra temp guage. It's a love hate relationship, it's fairly quick and very efficient but the cooling is a bit iffy.

Ah, I see, so you measure your water outlet temp as well. I guess that's not applicable to someone who runs a coil cooler in an ice bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Ah, I see, so you measure your water outlet temp as well. I guess that's not applicable to someone who runs a coil cooler in an ice bucket
    oh God no, we're not cave men Wynand

I think there's a certain appeal to doing things "caveman style". Think of a braai. MEAT. ON FIRE. EAT MEAT OFF FIRE. Hmmmm...