Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Distillation

bg's bulk cost is pretty much 1:1 to their small volume. but im, still working through my lockdown stash. i usually get around 8kg of peated malt for a lip pursing ag whisky but i mix that with 8kg of 2 row. 50/50 x4 mashes for a decent amount of end product for your mashing efforts. <- I dont share my whisky, have at the gin and other stuff - the whisky is mine.

it's a ton of effort though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah I want to get pricing on a bag, because it's usually a few bucks per kg cheaper, and they seem to be the only ones I know of who's getting stock soon. I'll keep you updated on the price. If it's too expensive though, I'm just going to order a few kilos loose and blend it with pale malt to at least get some smoke in there. I can't afford malt running into the thousands for a few litres of whisky that may or may not be nice.
    https://brewmart.co.za/shop/index.ph...product_id=466

Seems they have in stock

Quote Originally Posted by PaBz0r View Post
    Thanks, must be new. Their site was off for weeks again and I just actually stopped looking there. Might be cheapest option to do here, since I can just pop over and collect. I think a 10kg bit should be sufficient for now, no?

EDIT: I see on their site their Peated malt is in the 15-25ppm phenolic range. That's actually a bit low. I was hoping for a lot more, since my favourite peaty drams are in the range of Damn, I see even the Chataeu one that BG stocks is between 5 and 10ppm. I guess I'll just have to use more malt, and make better cuts. Eish. Ardbeg's malt they use is peated to around 55ppm IIRC.

I wonder on those ppm numbers, how much will end up in the final product?

EDIT2: Brewmart apparently only has 3.5kg in stock. Yay.
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 13th October 2020 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    EDIT2: Brewmart apparently only has 3.5kg in stock. Yay.
    That sucks

Yeah I'm in two minds about it. Pop over and buy all their stock, or "screw it" and just wait for the other to come in stock. Or ask them when they'll get more. I guess that's also an option.

PS: It's odd to me that BeerPlus doesn't have any stock of peated malts, for some reason. Smoked I think I found there before, but not peated.

OK nevermind. Beerguevara is getting stock of the exact malt I want. That's the one I'm going to go with. 35 to 40ppm peat phenols. NOICE.

Alright. So my corn wash thing is busy distilling. I'd LOVE to hear people's opinions on it who's done it before. I know I was expecting it to be different, but I didn't know what to expect so I'm a bit confused. I expected a bourbon-type note, but instead I'm getting corn bread, sweetcorn notes. The grain bill was only around 30% corn (because my efficiency was shit) and the wash started fermenting/souring all on it's own before I could pitch the yeast, but it's still a flavour I'm not familiar with.

I have to be clear it's not bad, it's just different. I want to know if that's about the flavour you can expect from a corn wash?

As a PS: Never making a corn wash again. It's a pain in the arse. From the milling to the cooking and getting the mash done properly, it's just a damn nightmare. Bourbon is cheap enough.

Corn wash is done. The yield (low wines) is 3l at 38% ABV. That's not too bad. I'll give this a good slow spirit run in the near future. Going to blend it with the single malt low wines I have around here (and plan on making soon) as well. Will probably run the still again on Saturday for the day, to strip another 20l of wash.

On the flavour - it's odd. Since the foreshots and heads are now off (mostly), I collected all the low wines in one container. The flavour is sweet, but it's a different kind of sweet. The single malt low wines has a more "subtle" sweetness, if that makes sense. Like malt sweetness, with more of a malty backbone. The corn wash's low wines is more of a "sharp" sweetness. I'm just going to blend the 3l of corn spirit with the 6l of single malt spirit I should have at the end of this, and then run a quick spirit run, followed by a third slow spirit run, just to make sure it's properly smooth. Probably on Sunday or something. I'm planning on sticking this one on a bit less oak than the previous whisky, but for longer. I'm also going to add more charred oak and less heavily toasted oaks, sticking to the sweet/vanilla flavours across the board. Looking forward to it.

I'll run the caramel wash I have now (probably around 11% ABV) sometime in the future. I've got special plans for that one. Triple distilled, on charred french oak only, for a long time. Plan on sticking 3l of that in the roof for a long time, with just a tiny bit of oak. Roof, because the temp variance is quite high up there. Think it'll help it along nicely.

OK so I managed to mod my urn by fitting canopy clips to the lid and sides. It's inelegant as hell, looks bulky and clunky but it seems to seal pretty well with the self-made silicone ring I stuck to the inside of the lid. I tried riveting the hooks onto the lid, but that failed because the rivets pushed against the inside of the urn, lifting the lid up and preventing a seal. I then wanted to glue it in place with Pratley Steel, but only after opening the box I noticed the sales guy gave me the Pratley Steel Putty, and not the epoxy I wanted.

So I spent 15 minutes playing with the putty, getting it "workable" and then clunked the hooks on the lid with the putty. It worked.

Until I put too much stress on the one hook 3 hours later (it takes 2 days to cure) and I broke it off.

Queue another 15 minutes of playing with the putty and it seems like (after 48 hours) the hooks are stuck properly. I can clamp them down and they sit.

Now I need to cut the lid to fit my distilling column, and I can give it a test run. Actually can't wait. I'm a bit over running my pressure cooker 4 to 5 times for a single batch just to complete the stripping run.

To cut the lid you have 2 options:

- a cutting die or dimple die, also called a punch die
    - a proper hole saw

Don't scrimp on quality on either. Bosch and DeWalt is best for the hole saw. SS is a SOD and will kill a standard steel hole saw very quickly. You need tungsten carbide or bi-metal.

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/hole-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Been there and bought the T-shirt.