Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Man just what I needed before I started my batch. The gelatine is it better than bentonite ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    Man just what I needed before I started my batch. The gelatine is it better than bentonite ?
    Yes, but neither really works. The gelatin introduces another problem - it's not suitable for vegetarians, and it's bound to raise some questions. I must also add that I used Zeolite, a derivative of Bentonite that's supposed to work just as well, but it didn't work for me, at all. In fact, I'm inclined to believe that it cloudied up the wine worse than if I used nothing at all.

So yeah, I'm planning on using nothing on the next batch, to see what the result will be. That way I'll get to not strip anything from the mead like the gelatin does (it strips colour and flavour), and I'll also end up with a mead that will hopefully drop clear with a few months' wait. None of this mead has lasted a few months yet, though, so that's a problem.

On the other hand, I can also try and filter the mead to clear. I might just have access to the equipment to do it. Will have to ask.

Going to be making the mead this weekend will start a new thread... and help if needed would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    Going to be making the mead this weekend will start a new thread... and help if needed would be great.
    Let me know when the thread is created. Not sure if you're familiar with TOSNA 2.0 and so on, will explain a bit more on there.

I normally add all at once or add at 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks but will look up the TOSNA method

TOSNA 2.0 has a nice calculator online. Has basic additions of doses of Fermaid O at 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours and at 1/3rd sugar break, or 7 days, whichever comes first. After 1/3rd sugar break the yeast isn't too fond of eating the food anymore and you risk flavours in your mead. I also add a dose during my yeast rehydration, as we don't get GoFerm here in SA.

So do you replace the 24 hr mark by just adding a dose during re-hydration or did you feed it five times ? ------> Never mind I read the first post again you replace the 24hr Mark
    Last edited by Deneys; 19th November 2019 at 15:27. Reason: Must learn to read