Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A little off topic, but its old and its related.

Has anyone ever tried using sorghum in a beer recipe, and with any success?

Now I am not talking about traditional umqombothi methods, I am talking about using it in a typical BIAB type method, say 50/50 with pale malt, or something like that.

I assume the souring in the traditional sense is only because you 'want' it and 'let' it sour, rather than being a natural characteristic of the sorghum itself.

I am largely interested in if this could be used toward making a whiskey, with a southern african element to it.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Did you read THIS-Brewing-with-sorghum thread?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Thanks. Yea I read a few of the threads here. In a nutshell it follows this trend:
    - Its a complicated process
    - Its mostly still used for 'sour' beers
    - No one really 'keeps at it', which says a lot. Except Setsumi, but he seemed to be an exception
    So I am already put off, but what I might do is get some king korn and do a few 'porridge in a pot' experiments, and check consistency, conversion etc and decide from there.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why not just buy some Maltabella? It's milled, malted sorghum. Mix it with cold water and then slowly with hotter to prevent it lumping up. It should give you a flavour. It tastes a lot like chocolate or malted beverages like Milo. It's pretty good. I think it could be pretty nice in a stout.

Maltabella has salt added, just keep that in mind.

Wow, apparently beer, contrary to most foods and drinks we consume, normally contains so little salt that in "Potomania (drinking too much) can lead to hyponatrimia (sodium deficiency)" This sounds like a win given its recommended to reduce salt intake.

Anyway, back to your point... On one of the threads here someone mentioned he tried a few forms of it and actually got best results (flavour) from the maltabella.

I somehow think courseness of the grind (less flour) would be a big selection factor here, especially in terms of 'stuck sparge' and trying to keep the beer clear.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So maltabella is ground pretty fine, but it's not a FLOUR. I can compare it most to something like a maize meal. It's a meal, not a flour. It mixes pretty well with cold water, but when cooked it absorbs A LOT of moisture, so keep that in mind. I think cooking instructions involves something like 1:8 meal to water ratio (by weight) to cook it into a porridge, so I would go for a massive water bill when mashing, or just use very little in the mash.

i disapprove of this porridge slop, but if it was me, i'd do a decoction and keep the slop from my main brew vessel.

sorghum whiskies are a thing, apparently very 'earthy' in taste - tastes like soil, made in japan or some fringe spots in the us