No announcement yet.

Next brew: A light lager attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beersmith has an option to account for no chill.
    http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/09/15...beersmith-2-3/

Depends on how long you are above the isomeration temp. Think its 80c. Hence the 20min rule of thumb.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Beersmith has an option to account for no chill.
      http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/09/15...beersmith-2-3/

Depends on how long you are above the isomeration temp. Think its 80c. Hence the 20min rule of thumb.

I'm tapping into a chilled fermenter directly after the boil, so it won't be above 80 for too long. I think 20 mins isn't a bad time. If I slightly overshoot the IBUs - eh. Can always adjust it later on.

On the other hand, maybe it's not a bad idea to try to build my wort chiller soon. I have some soft drawn copper, it's just very thin (6.35mm I think), but anything is better than nothing, I guess. Also have a small submersible pump I can use to pump through cold water. Hmmm...

Comment

^ +1 .. I've been using that of late and I use a max time of 45min although I think the wort is under 85ºC much quicker than 45min ?

Screenshot_29.jpg

Just a note... everything above 45min does NOT increase the IBU reading withing the recipe, so even if your wort takes more than 45min to drop from 100-85ºC, the software only calculates to 45min (well thats what i find on my side at least)
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          I'm tapping into a chilled fermenter directly after the boil, so it won't be above 80 for too long. I think 20 mins isn't a bad time. If I slightly overshoot the IBUs - eh. Can always adjust it later on.

You are not doing no-chill you are pouring hot wort into the fermenter and then waiting for it to cool

Trust me it will be above 80C for much longer than you think and the bitterness carrying forward effect from kettle to cube will be bigger than what you expect.

I have done a few beers that I measured the cube temperatures every 5 min for an hour and they don't cool down evenly or as fast as you think.Yes It drops down pretty fast but also stays hot for long. Just use hop bags and drop the cube in the pool and get it over with.

My experience with small beers are that little changes can make big differences, Good luck.

As a side joke I copied this from Beersmith: Using this same feature you can now get an accurate estimate for “no chill” brewing. You mark the box to estimate boil hop utility in the whirlpool to carry forward remaining bitterness. All you need to know is the approximate time the cube or hot wort vessel you are using is above 85C, and the program will carry forward the boil hops and estimate the additional IBU additions that happen as the cube is chilling.

That sounds more like a wild ass guess than being accurate
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 26 November 2019, 10:45.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I don't have a pool, but perhaps the fermenter in the cooler box and covered with ice isn't a bad idea. To clarify, I'll be chilling the fermenter down to almost freezing in the fermentation chamber and then pour the wort into there. The first few degrees will be the biggest drop. I can then stick it in the cooler box under airlock with ice around it. I want to avoid moving it into the cube and then have to move it from the cube to the fermenter later on and and and. I have never fermented in the cube, so I'm not ready for that yet.

I actually am looking forward to how fast it drops in temp. I'll do a test and see, and report back!

Comment

@Harhm "wild ass guess" you sound like you are listening to an American lecturer. Make a WAG!

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                @Harhm "wild ass guess" you sound like you are listening to an American lecturer. Make a WAG!

Haha. Yes I listen to lots of usa podcasts when I travel for work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

@ Harhm

That's what i said in post #18 .. Im using that Beersmith tick with a set time of 45min (like I stated putting the time higher makes no diff to the IBU reading) and I find it easier than the old method of moving the hop additions 20min forward

Can you remember from your testing if 45min would be enough to drop the wort to 85ºC especially if i shake the cube a couple of times within that 45min ??

EDIT:

This is 15g Saaz without the tick for a 30min boil @ 4 IBU
                  001.jpg

...and here the same 15g with the setting ticked for no-chill and a timing of 45min @ 4.6 IBU
                  002.jpg

Not much on this low %AA hop, but still there
                  JIGSAW
                  Last edited by JIGSAW; 26 November 2019, 13:59. Reason: see EDIT

Comment

What if I dump the sealed qube into the pool?
                    Pick it out the next day

Comment

^ but why? then you might have to heat it up again the next day depending on the temp of the pool water.

the whole idea behind a no-chill cube is to seal it and let it be ... sit back and 'suie'

Comment

In sommer it cools to about 20C and for me the no chill is about reducing the hassle, time, cleaning and water use. All those boxes are still ticked when I gooi it in the pool. But then i can chill below 80c fairly quick

Comment

point taken ... im sure there's people doing it already

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            @ Harhm

That's what i said in post #18 .. Im using that Beersmith tick with a set time of 45min (like I stated putting the time higher makes no diff to the IBU reading) and I find it easier than the old method of moving the hop additions 20min forward

Can you remember from your testing if 45min would be enough to drop the wort to 85ºC especially if i shake the cube a couple of times within that 45min ??

EDIT:

This is 15g Saaz without the tick for a 30min boil @ 4 IBU
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2228[/ATTACH]

...and here the same 15g with the setting ticked for no-chill and a timing of 45min @ 4.6 IBU
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2229[/ATTACH]

Not much on this low %AA hop, but still there
                            Yes will be far below 85 at 45 min. 3 beers ranging from 72C to 78C @ 45 min. I think I also posted some temps in the no chill thread? (Currently driving out of town)

Its the inconsistent cooling temps from brew day to brew day that caused me to stop putting hops in the cubes. I also didnt like the hop character when I only added hops to the cubes ie zero kettle hops.

Dont get me wrong Beesmith is great its how we treat the cubes thats flawed. If I brewed this morning it would have been19C this afternoon ambient is 37 C

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I'll probably chill a big towel or two in the fridge, chill the sanitized cube in the fridge and then after the boil, pour into the cube and move it back into the fridge, draped with chilled towels and leave until next morning. Next morning I'll pour into fermenter and pitch yeast. Simple enough, no?

Comment

Have not done many no chill and still learning / experimenting. Last 2 batches I chilled in freedge, once at about 60C I added the hops, also did a 15 min addition.
                                Will be tasting the first batch the weekend a Rye ale.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X