Dream Brews: Sweet honey beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Brews: Sweet honey beer

OK so I had another dream. Considering the last one went a bit wonky (I'm letting it age a bit), I'm not too optimistic about this one, but I'm not completely sour about it either. I feel a bit more positive, so let's see. Also, considering I'm dreaming these up, I'm calling them my Dream Brews. Simple enough.

Anyway, what I had in mind is a combination of mead and beer. There are styles on each side of the spectrum, on the mead side it is called a Braggot and on the beer side it's simply called a honey beer. Now, what I have in mind is a sweet beer, highlighting the flavours of the honey, with a slight hint of citrussy hops in both bitterness and flavour/aroma. Now this is what I have in mind, for a smaller batch to test with first (because honey is 'spensive, yo.):

Fermentables:
    1.5kg Pilsner Malt - I want the Pilsner flavour - sweeter, rounder, smoother, with hints of honey.
    1kg Caramel/Crystal 40°L - For the added body/sweetness, and the 40°L because I want the slightly darker colour. Could maybe even up the colour here, not too sure.
    1.5kg Honey - raw, natural, unpastuerized honey. For flavour and ABV.

Hops:
    6gr Admiral @ 60mins - for bitterness - should give around 16 IBUs of bitterness in here. I have Admiral, but I can swap that out with anything else I have as well.
    20gr of Cascade @ dry hop

Yeast:
    Not 100% sure what I can get at my local HBS yet, but I want an ale yeast strain with a very low attentuation. I want as much sweetness in that beer as possible,

Process:
    1. Mash the grains at in 3litres of water per kg of grain, at 70°C for 60 minutes. Lots of water for the grain so I can increase the unfermentables.
    2. Boil the wort for 60 minutes with the hops as above.
    3. After the boil, add the wort on top of a bed of honey in the fermenter, diluting the honey in the process.
    4. Dilute to target volume (16 litres) using chilled RO water, treated with CaCl for added maltiness in the finished product.
    5. Chill to room temp, and pitch the yeast.
    6. Ferment in the middle of the yeast's temperature range until done. Dry hop for 4 days after fermentation.
    7. Clarify with Gelatin.
    8. Bottle, using very little sugar for very low carbonation (about 1~1.5 volumes).

My aim is an OG of around 1.058, FG of 1.014, for an ABV of around 6% ABV. More is a bit nicer, I'd guess.

So, ideas, thougts, possible adjustments? I want to avoid using lactose in the brew, but I will if I have to. The flavour I'm looking for is a sweet, honey-malt hit, with caramel, honey and barley sugar in the finish. High, smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation to make it feel more like a smooth, sweet, creamy drink than a fizzy beer.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the colour I'm aiming for should match the sweetness, malt and honey. As such, this is kind what I'm aiming for. I'm trying to figure out if the amount of Crystal 40 would be enough to get me to here. This is called a "copperhead vienna ale", and I like that colour. It can end up a little darker as well:

Toxxyc
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 6 December 2019, 07:27.

Howzit Toxxyc

Damn, you must be smoking some good shit to dream up recipes like that.

I'm no expert here, but your base malt to specialty malt ratio is bound to make this brew cloyingly sweet. But it sounds like that's what you're after. Only one way to find out if your dream recipe is to your liking...

You guys been keeping well? I've been out of touch for awhile with work, life and everything in between, but hey, I still brewed every opportunity that I got.

Cheers and good luck with that dream brew.

Comment

I don't want it cloyingly sweet, but 1.014 should be OK. I've made a 1.010 mead before, and while it was pretty sweet, it's not too bad. I've also had a 1.018 Vienna lager last time, and that was also sweet, but not TOO sweet. The hops does balance it out. 1.014 is high though, but I'm not sure if it's too high. Remember the honey makes a very light-bodied, almost sour flavour profile and it's quite a large part of the fermentable. Honey ferments to bone dry, not like malt that stops at 1.007 or so. Honey goes down to under 1.000 if it's just honey and water. The mead I make stops at 0.996, so that "dryness" I think should make up for the sweetness of the sugars in the end product. The hops adding that slight hint of bitterness should also help. I'm fine with pushing it down a bit drier if need be though. I don't want it dessert wine sweet, that's taking it too far.

Comment

OK so I keep on getting back to this. Once I get more base malts in place, I'm going to attempt this brew. Honey is still just sitting around, so I really want to try this brew. I've also picked up a lot more experience since coming up with this recipe. I want to go for VERY sweet. I had a stout tap out at 1.023 I believe the other day and it wasn't even cloyingly sweet. I also want to keep the hops low, perhaps even remove the dry hop completely and just go with a 5min or flameout addition instead.

Every time I think about a nice sweet beer, this comes to the front. Just a bummer malts are scarce as hell right now.

Comment

A long time ago when UNTAG drove white armoured vehicles and South West Africa was almost Namibia, I hiked the Fish River Canyon.
          Although the trip proved to memorable, a more enduring memory was the discovery of a brew, then only available in the almost to be Namibia, in a little 340ml dumpy, blue label and with a lightly sweet honey after taste - Winkhoek Export Lager.

As far as I recall, it was later brought into SA but long since discontinued.

Your mention of "honey" brought this to the fore.
          I would like to try and recreate the memory. Where would such a recipe be found?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

I posted the "export windhoek" recipe a few days ago on here somewhere, no honey innit unfortunately

Comment

I recently brewed an Amber Ale with Honey, nice sweet malty taste with fruity hops. It's a really nice winter beer with high ABV.

I must point out that the sugars in the honey will ferment out and you will not get a lot of honey taste. I also used honey to carbonate the bottles.

Recipe for 42 liter batch:

Pilsner Malt 4kg
              SAB Pale 4kg
              Caraamber 500g
              Caramunich I 500g
              Caramunich II 500g
              Honey 1.5kg

African Queen 28g @30 min
              Hallertau Mandarina 50g @15 min
              Hallertau Mandarina 50g @5 min
              African Queen 50g dry hop after 7 days

Will drink one tonight and post a picture of the colour, it's pretty close to what you want.

Comment

That is a lot of hops. I don't think that's what I was after :P But yes, the Pils malt looks on the ball.

Comment

In a 42l batch that's just enough to get the taste buds going.

Comment

Nah I know where A.Queen's AA levels are at. On the other hand, it is only 30 minutes. What's the IBU you hit in that batch?

The BU:GU I was dreaming of in this beer of mine would be under 0.5, actually closer to around 0.4 actually, so really pretty low bitterness.

Comment

Here you go, a peekcha of the Amber Ale colour. I have three of these and my cheeks are about the same colour..
                      IMG_20200709_171719.jpg

Comment

looks good
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          I posted the "export windhoek" recipe a few days ago on here somewhere, no honey innit unfortunately
                          Can you point in the right direction please.
                          My search abilites are wanting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X