No announcement yet.

330ml Craft Beer Bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite whisky for a long time was the Glenmorangie Lasanta, the Sherry cask finish, but I'm also leaning toward the peaty ones these days. I'd LOVE to do a distilling run of something someday, but I don't have a still (yet). That's actually another thing I'll buy before I buy a kegging setup. Interests.

If you're planning a rum, buy your molasses from a co-op. Get the molasses used in horse feed. It's significantly cheaper and since you're going to distill it anyway, the impurities in there makes absolutely no difference to the final product. A rum is one of the first things I want to try if I get a still one day. Totally first on the list though is a mead. Want to make a mead cut halfway with cheap suger to boost ABV, then distill it, cut to drinking ABV with a good and proper mead and then sweeten a bit with more honey. Think it can be amazing. Maybe someone close by can run the first run for me...

Comment

I had a couple of crates with 750 ml (black label) bottles from the days before brewing, emily capper works perfectly on them. About a year ago on a whim I went to my local bottle store and asked if they would sell me crates with empty 750 ml bottles, to my surprise they had no problem selling to me. I paid about R25 per crate with 12 x 750 bottles.
      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        My favourite whisky for a long time was the Glenmorangie Lasanta, the Sherry cask finish, but I'm also leaning toward the peaty ones these days. I'd LOVE to do a distilling run of something someday, but I don't have a still (yet). That's actually another thing I'll buy before I buy a kegging setup. Interests.

If you're planning a rum, buy your molasses from a co-op. Get the molasses used in horse feed. It's significantly cheaper and since you're going to distill it anyway, the impurities in there makes absolutely no difference to the final product. A rum is one of the first things I want to try if I get a still one day. Totally first on the list though is a mead. Want to make a mead cut halfway with cheap suger to boost ABV, then distill it, cut to drinking ABV with a good and proper mead and then sweeten a bit with more honey. Think it can be amazing. Maybe someone close by can run the first run for me...
        I'll pop out to the stables in Noordhoek, perhaps I can pick some up. Will certainly give it a twirl, I've heard good things from other distillers around rum, apparently in another league that the stuff on sale. Will see. Distilling is pretty boring compared to brewing beer and you usually have a long time to wait on the aging process for whiskeys etc. That distilled mead sounds good, I think I need to revisit your mead posts now, we have some local honey producers nearby too. How much on impact does the honey flavor make? Fynbos okay?

I have the alembic copper still and the t500 condensor and it's more than sufficient for my needs.

For whiskeys, bourbons, rums and infusion run for gins
        https://www.brewcraft.co.za/alembic-...html?cat=24260
        for clean spirit runs you can add this later
        https://www.brewcraft.co.za/t500-sta...html?cat=24260

alternatively have a look here https://distillique.co.za/

I've heard some guys make their own stills from copper geysers or pressure cookers, google will have more info, but it's possible

Comment

I have a pressure cooker I want to convert into a still. One day.

On the honey - the better the honey, the better the mead. As long as the quality is good (bees not fed on sugar water, honey not boiled or overly "cleaned"), the mead will be good!

Comment

Working...
          X