Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recirculated cooling

Finally finished my recirculated cooling system, that I can easily cool wort and distillate on both the T500 and alembic still. Happy days, I bought a 1000L foodgrade flowbin, topped it up with tap water, a 500W submersible water pump, some reducers and connectors with silicone hosing etc. I'll pump cold water from the bottom and return the hot to the top, no way that I'll heat up a 1000L in the short run time .
    I can set the flowrate on the alembic to 2.5l/h and 1.5 iirc for the T500, easy to hook up to the GF CFC too.

Total cost ~R4500, you can get used flowbins / cheaper water storage containers which would drop the cost significantly, possibly two 200l bluedrums will work too, pump cold from first, return hot to second.

Just finished my first brew for the day (NZ Pils), the closed loop cooling works a treat. Cooled down the wort in no time. This is something that I should have done ages ago.
    I just cleaned my gear and ready for my next brew today. (English golden ale)

Cool Any Pictures ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Here you go, pump has a reducer Bush with a gardena quick connect. Submerged atm. I extended the silicone hoses on the GF with another gardena quick connect inline.20200119_104803.jpg20200119_104703.jpg20200119_104740.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Nice work Spoek. I like the two drum idea too. Even if you just dump the initial hot output water and you could probably recirculate. Dumping ice in is also an option guess.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Yip, nice setup... I like that pump
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Yip, nice setup... I like that pump
    Picked it up at adendorfs, pretty far north for me, but anyway. R895 if I'm not mistaken

You might want to think about putting some acidisan into the tanks. @Nick from the club has been re-using the water in 2 drums for over 2 years that way already.
    1000L flow-bin = 1L acidisan. (There will be 2L acidisan as one of the prizes for next club comp - so...)

Top tim Cam, cheers! I'm pretty bad with keeping up on club stuff, but I'll be keen to enter the comp. Do you have details on it yet?