Best type of keg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best type of keg?

So I decided to take the plunge into kegging, and it seems there are quite a few things one has to decide about.

I know the American seem to all use corny kegs and many in ZA seem to use them too. But what is the best type to start with, corny that just needs disconects or is it better to go for a type of keg that is interchangable with SAB or Craftbeer kegs?

Also does anyone know who has the best price on kegs?

Thanks
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

You will get a lot of opinions about what people prefer. Which is better? That will be your call to make.

Corny kegs I think work out the cheapest, but some dont like the typical 19L max size. Some prefer the commercial kegs because they can then hook up a craft beer keg if they want to.

I tend to prefer separate in/out posts of the cornys for simplicity, versatility, easy maintenance, low cost etc.

Also consider where you want to fit kegs. Size/ shape etc

Good luck. getting into kegging is a fun project
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      You will get a lot of opinions about what people prefer. Which is better? That will be your call to make.

Corny kegs I think work out the cheapest, but some dont like the typical 19L max size. Some prefer the commercial kegs because they can then hook up a craft beer keg if they want to.

I tend to prefer separate in/out posts of the cornys for simplicity, versatility, easy maintenance, low cost etc.

Also consider where you want to fit kegs. Size/ shape etc

Good luck. getting into kegging is a fun project
      Thank you for the well thought out reply. I'm sure that I will enjoy it. I will probably go for the keg type that cleans the easiest
      Andreas
      Last edited by Andreas; 6 February 2020, 07:29. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Then, if you have scrawny arms like me, cornys for the win. If you have proper manly arms, maybe no so much.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

On your original post;
          1) Keg Solutions for refurbished Corny Kegs @ +/- R1000
          2) Electrical Industries, new corney gets for about R1200. (they had a special recently R995+VAT - not sure if it's still on).

I agree that you need to work out what works for you - especially space wise. Then generally stick with it. (Note: there are 2 types of corney keg connectors (ball lock and Pin lock) - choose 1 and stick to that. They also come in 2 generally sizes 9L and 19L - There are however many different manufacturers and the parts aren't always interchangeable).

if you are prepared to pay for an extra connector then you can still hook up a commercial keg - of course dimensions are different so back to the space consideration

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
            On your original post;
            1) Keg Solutions for refurbished Corny Kegs @ +/- R1000
            2) Electrical Industries, new corney gets for about R1200. (they had a special recently R995+VAT - not sure if it's still on).

I agree that you need to work out what works for you - especially space wise. Then generally stick with it. (Note: there are 2 types of corney keg connectors (ball lock and Pin lock) - choose 1 and stick to that. They also come in 2 generally sizes 9L and 19L - There are however many different manufacturers and the parts aren't always interchangeable).

if you are prepared to pay for an extra connector then you can still hook up a commercial keg - of course dimensions are different so back to the space consideration
            Have you used the refurbished kegs?

Comment

Not personally but many people have. And he's very knowlegable and helpful as well. (I bought all my stuff in one go from EI)

Comment

I don't usually like promoting corporates that punt on user platforms, but this is probably a decent deal..
                Screenshot_20200206_203127.jpg
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                  I don't usually like promoting corporates that punt on user platforms, but this is probably a decent deal..
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]2275[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks! Will give a call tomorrow

Comment

We're also considering buying some of those, it's a good price for unmolested kegs.

Comment

Working...
                    X