Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a clone recipe for Nanny state. it is 0.5-0.8% alcohol IPA
    Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    She recently developed a stomach thing because of stress. Can't do anything fizzy, anything with alcohol, too much caffeine, nothing spicy, etc. or she's curled up in pain for a few hours.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
      Groenspoekasem how do you dry your spend grains for flour milling? I have made bread (and plenty of dog biscuits) using the wet spent grain - I just cut back on the other liquid in the bread dough. But I am interested in making flour from the spent grains.

Thanks
      I suspect he is using a cool oven. Stir often. But your method works better. We freeze ours and defrost when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
        I suspect he is using a cool oven. Stir often. But your method works better. We freeze ours and defrost when needed.

yep dehydrator and low temp on fan induction oven, i have used the wet grains with great success, (frozen/unfrozen) I just don't like picking bits of grain out of my teeth :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
          I have a clone recipe for Nanny state. it is 0.5-0.8% alcohol IPA
          Still got gas in it. She got cramps from a Savannah Non-Alcoholic over the weekend, and that's just 0.3% ABV.

Anyway, she said I can brew, so this afternoon I'm picking up:

450g Lactose
          1 x West Coast Ale Yeast
          500g English Chocolate Malt (900EBC)
          3.9kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
          300g Roasted Barley (1300 EBC)
          1kg Caramunich Crystal Type 1 (90 EBC)

Idea is a sweet, chocolaty stout, ~6% ABV, maybe a tad stronger if I can get the volume down and efficiency up. Batch size I'm aiming for is 19l in the fermenter. Aiming for around 30IBUs, but I'm not entirely sure which hops to use yet. We'll see on the day, I guess.

Planning on following this rough guide (sans the oats, because I can't find proper flaked oats and I'm not sure - will regular Jungle Oats work?): https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...ate-milk-stout

I'll also check to see if it's sweet enough at the end. If not, I'll just add more lactose. I'm also planning some cocoa and coffee again added to the ferment, because I just love the flavours in the end result. I'm hoping to bottle a bunch of these in bigger bottles so I can let them age out a bit. Will probably have a few this coming winter, but a few I want to put aside until at least next year. Would have been nice to barrel age some of it (or just age in a bottle on some oak), but that'll have to wait until next time.

Comment

OK so I've done my research, and I'm going to use regular Jungle Oats in my beer as well. 500g added to the recipe above. I know what it does, and I really want that in my final product, but my LHBS was all sold out. So it seems I can just use regular Jungle Oats. So that's what I'm going to do.

Comment

Yip, if you can get Instant Oats version, that will work better

make a very watery porridge that you add to the mash
              JIGSAW
              Last edited by JIGSAW; 26 March 2020, 11:43.
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I'll let you in on a secret, baking supply shops are still stocked (mine was) picked up 5kg sugar for R89, 500g yeast (bread) for R46, 3kg rolled oats for Rcheap cant remember. Sugar and yeast for sugarwash, oats for beer. Also bought citric acid and flour, all up for R274

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to be brewing a few small 4L batches (different types of lager), a lot of tiny 600ml (mostly kveik voss recipe tests) and probably going to distill quite a bit.

Sadly most of my kegging kit has yet to arrive via courier, which leads me to think I will be waiting a while.
                  Andreas
                  Last edited by Andreas; 26 March 2020, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Yip, if you can get Instant Oats version, that will work better

make a very watery porridge that you add to the mash
                    I couldn't get anything, at all, what a bummer. I'm just going to use the regular oats in the pantry. Will shop for more if the need arises.

Also, I'm planning a split mash on this one. I'm sitting with a 7.3kg grain bill, and I really don't want to struggle with it. It's almost double the grain bill from my previous biggest beer...

Comment

^ how did you get to 7.3Kg ??

With the ingredients posted above I get 5.7Kg ... plus the Oats would put it at max 6.2 Kg and yes I would definitely split the batch knowing your setup

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        ^ how did you get to 7.3Kg ??

With the ingredients posted above I get 5.7Kg ... plus the Oats would put it at max 6.2 Kg and yes I would definitely split the batch knowing your setup
                        6.2kg, sorry yes. I seem to have added the "Mill My Order" number 1 to the equation as well. Still a bit much, I don't think I'll be able to handle a 6.2kg mash.

Unless, and hear me out here:

1. Heat up strike water to a good few degrees warmer than it has to be. Pour strike water into a cooler box I have around here, place on lid and wait until the strike water reaches target temp.
                        2. Add grains in the grain bag into the cooler box filled with hot water.
                        3. Mash in the cooler box for the hour.
                        4. Add more hot water to the cooler box to "mash out".
                        5. Lift the grain bag out of the cooler box and place it into a big container, where I can keep sparging if need be to get my required amount of wort.

Would this work? From here I can pour the wort into my boiling kettle (tupperware boiler - works wonders), do the regular boil, into the no-chill cube, etc. etc. until pitch.

Comment

It should work
                          6.2kg, sorry yes. I seem to have added the "Mill My Order" number 1 to the equation as well. Still a bit much, I don't think I'll be able to handle a 6.2kg mash.

Unless, and hear me out here:

1. Heat up strike water to a good few degrees warmer than it has to be. Pour strike water into a cooler box I have around here, place on lid and wait until the strike water reaches target temp.
                          2. Add grains in the grain bag into the cooler box filled with hot water.
                          3. Mash in the cooler box for the hour.
                          4. Add more hot water to the cooler box to "mash out".
                          5. Lift the grain bag out of the cooler box and place it into a big container, where I can keep sparging if need be to get my required amount of wort.

Would this work? From here I can pour the wort into my boiling kettle (tupperware boiler - works wonders), do the regular boil, into the no-chill cube, etc. etc. until pitch.

Comment

6.2kg, sorry yes. I seem to have added the "Mill My Order" number 1 to the equation as well. Still a bit much, I don't think I'll be able to handle a 6.2kg mash. Unless, and hear me out here: 1. Heat up strike water to a good few degrees warmer than it has to be. Pour strike water into a cooler box I have around here, place on lid and wait until the strike water reaches target temp. 2. Add grains in the grain bag into the cooler box filled with hot water. 3. Mash in the cooler box for the hour. 4. Add more hot water to the cooler box to "mash out". 5. Lift the grain bag out of the cooler box and place it into a big container, where I can keep sparging if need be to get my required amount of wort. Would this work? From here I can pour the wort into my boiling kettle (tupperware boiler - works wonders), do the regular boil, into the no-chill cube, etc. etc. until pitch.
                            that could work yes if you have said cooler that could handle the grain + water (±2.5l per kg) Actually no need for the mashout ... after mash drain the liquid to boil kettle and the add you mashout/sparge water to rinse the grain (let it sit for 5-10min) and then also add that to the kettle to reach the correct boil volume .... and Bob's your uncle basically a "batch sparge" ... google if you not sure on the term
                            JIGSAW
                            Last edited by JIGSAW; 27 March 2020, 19:06.

Comment

Did a pseudo pilsner today and a bock tomorrow. Kegged a NZ Pilsner yesterday, but deep cleaned all my kegs, keezer, lines and taps beforehand. Also made another tonic and experimenting with a sourdough starter on spent grains. Need to taste test the kombucha and kimchi a bit later. I was going to do a double brewday, but seeing that tomorrow needs a time filler, there it is. Maybe I'll mash that rye whiskey on Tuesday. I have 25l of sugar wash at 1.020, so that needs to happen soon. What are all y'all up to?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Double brew day on Friday.
                                My litchi juice pale and red ale. Properly washed out my fermenter to ensure no infection. Fermenting the pale, red in its cube waiting. Dry hopped today with citra and ella. 3 more days and I'm bottling. The wife's raspberry cider now has enough age to be more then drinkable. So at least I have something to keep me going while bottle conditioning.

Ps. Any of you used the citra ella combination yet? Its awesome.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X