Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

It's an interesting beer. It's a Vienna lager, mashed low (so as to finish dry), finished with a typical Pilsner hop (Saaz) and fermented with a Pilsner yeast, and then lagered. I can not wait. Hyper excited!

So DUDE! you're keeping us hanging here! How does it taste?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

LOL ... yea ... we need that update!
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yea I'm waiting on anticipation too. Just done a saaz Pilsner where I was not convinced what I was supplied was even saaz, but now some hints of saaz seem to be coming through. Might be my brain convincing my tongue because that's what I want to taste.
    The saaz /Vienna combo will be interesting.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

So I said I'll wait two weeks before tasting this. I didn't. I waited a week. The result is slightly flat, but carbonated enough for me to enjoy.

Now, the beer. Aroma is Saaz, with a tiny bit of Vienna on the back. It's not strong, but it's there. Keep in mind the Vienna I used was from Castle Malting, the Chateau brand Vienna Malt. It's a lighter Vienna in both colour and flavour than I'm used to, and it worked really well in the standard low-ABV Vienna lagers I made for others on here as well (including jannieverjaarkoeldrank). I think the Saaz is maybe a bit overpowering for the recipe I used, but it's not like that in a terrible way. I don't know how to describe it, really. It's like what I enjoy from the Vienna is hidden by what I enjoy from Saaz, so it's an interesting conflict of aroma here.

On to the flavour, it's more intersting to me. It instantly reminded me of the Saaz Pilsner I made a few months ago, obviously because of the Saaz punch. However, where the Pilsner was typically light, crisp and refreshing, this has the backbone of that Vienna malt. It compliments it nicely. This beer is a bit stronger than I'm typically used to. I make beers at between 4 and 5% ABV typically, and this one clocked in at a healthy 5.8% ABV. It doesn't come through in the flavour (no alcohol here), but the malty backbone is there.

It results in a beer that's fuller in mouthfeel, almost creamy, but still tastes like my old Pilsner. I also have to add here that I've had plenty of lagered, crisp beers in my time, even some of my own making. This was the one I lagered the longest - 3 full months. However, it doesn't have that "crisp" finish that I've come to recognize in lagered beers. To me it's more of a "matured" or "conditioned" taste than a "lagered" taste. Comparable to the improvement of a strong stout after a few months, for example. I have no idea why, but it does interest me. I think this warrants some more experiments. Perhaps the Vienna was maybe just a bit too much to "crisp out"?

Anyway, great beer. I don't think I'll do this exact one again, but at least some version of a lager will definitely be done again. Lighter grain bill, perhaps. We'll see.

Alright so a few more weeks has passed since this beer was bottled, and I have to comment here again. It is turning out to be exceptionally malty, a lot more than I have tasted in my Vienna lagers before. I'm not sure if it's because of the lagering or the Saaz hop, but it's definitely a malty, earthy beer. It's not sweet though. At 1.008 it finished pretty dry, but it has an incredible amount of flavour, probably more than any other "simple" beer I've made before. I'm really, really happy with this one. There are a few in the back of the fridge that will stay there until there's a brewing competition again sometime. I'm DEFINITELY entering this beer. I don't expect numbers even in the 30s, but I would love to get a proper opinion on it.

I know for a fact I'll be nailed on the colour, but that's OK. It's supposed to be amber, but the Chateau Vienna malt seems to be a lot lighter. I've used other brands before and the beers ended up darker, but eh. Mine's more of a rich golden colour, definitely not amber. I think I nailed the IBU and I'm on the upper end of the ABV, but I'd still like to enter it. Can't wait, actually.

I see you can enter the championship, closing next week sometime:

https://www.quicket.co.za/events/113...brew-champs/#/

Perhaps worth a go?