Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modified electric urn?

Hi,

While the lockdown is going on, I'm seriously looking at changing my brewing system. Sadly about half of what I need to build a system is either not essential or bloody expensive.

I see on takealot they have conic urns that have temp control that goes from about 50C to 100C. Would that work as a mash/boiler?

https://www.takealot.com/conic-25l-s...n/PLID61065674
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Honestly, I wouldn't see a built-in temperature control on an urn as a "plus" by any means. Those urns also usually quote their external volume. I have an urn, also 25l, also with a built-in thermostat that was very, VERY generously gifted to me by another forum member that I simply can't brew without. However...

1. The built in thermostat is terrible. I realised this the first time when I was heating up my strike water and set it to 74°C. I eventually figured something's off when I heard a rumble in the kitchen and the thing was boiling. Next time I set it to 50, to be safe, and the water went up to almost-almost 60°C. It's very inaccurate and impossible to predict, so now I just set it to whatever, stick a probe in there with an alarm that tells me when I reach my strike water temp and then I manually switch it off.

2. The 25l urn only holds about 20l at the absolute maximum. However, for the boil, 18l is the max, and I'm actually only really comfortable with boiling about 15l in there. To make up the deficit, I usually calculate the hop quantities based on the gravity of the wort going into the boil in the urn, and then supplement the boil with a plastic water boiler (one of those R250 boilers you buy at Checkers). I then only boil the 15l for the full time, with the hops and everything, and then "dilute" with the rest of the wort that I only boil for a few minutes to sterilize. It seems to work well, and having, say, 13l of hot wort on one side and 8l of hot wort on the other side is a lot easier to handle, for me.

3. Get an urn, if you still want one, with a double wall. The one I was given was modified, if I remember correctly, by removing the seal ring on the top edge and filling it with expanding foam. This insulated the urn VERY well, and mashing in there is a breeze because of this. I generally get around 1°C drop in temperature if I just stick a towel on the lid during a 60 minute boil (the lid is a flat SS lid).

4. If you're pressed for cash, seriously, consider a regular water boiler. One like these: https://www.takealot.com/pineware-23...E&gclsrc=aw.ds It essentially performs the same duties as the urn. The box says 2,000W, but the element is stamped with 2,200W, so it's also powerful. Yes, not the most powerful, sure. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, it looks and feels cheap. Yes, it works. I've made several beers on one like that exclusively. @langchop went all out with one - he mashes, boils and ferments in his, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with his beers (according to my pleb palate).

However, with the urn, you have possibilities. For instance:

1. I'm SERIOUSLY considering building a seal for the urn lid, removing the handle and opening up the screw hole to fit a 3/4" compression fitting. I could re-fit the handle using a large washer (which I have on hand) and re-fit the handle if needed. The large hole though would fit a compression fitting and I can then fit a column to the top, effectively turning the urn into a still.

2. I'm also considering, in the future, to buy a hot water pump, build a relay box, get another STC-1000 and then convert the urn into a cheap Grainfather clone. Recirculating the wort during the mash, etc. etc. I also have an RPi 3 lying around here I can stick BrewPi on to make it even easier to get going. Options, options...

Comment

First thing is to get a budget going.

The urn thing is not a bad idea, I've been playing with the idea to make a "urnfather" for a while. I have an extra controller, but would rather do this
      - 50l Catering stainless urn, usually with a 3kw element. Best one you can afford
      - Discard internal temperature control switch
      - Install thermowell
      - Remove tap and reuse for recirculation
      - False bottom
      - Install sightglass on recirculation arm and calibrate
      - Use a SmartPID with integration to brewfather, money shot right there.
      - Obtain and install 100+C rated pump
      - Have a mash basket custom built
      - Build or buy a CFC

Make some wort ! Easy enough to dual purpose into a still.

Comment

Now that sounds like a plan.
        Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        First thing is to get a budget going.

The urn thing is not a bad idea, I've been playing with the idea to make a "urnfather" for a while. I have an extra controller, but would rather do this
        - 50l Catering stainless urn, usually with a 3kw element. Best one you can afford
        - Discard internal temperature control switch
        - Install thermowell
        - Remove tap and reuse for recirculation
        - False bottom
        - Install sightglass on recirculation arm and calibrate
        - Use a SmartPID with integration to brewfather, money shot right there.
        - Obtain and install 100+C rated pump
        - Have a mash basket custom built
        - Build or buy a CFC

Make some wort ! Easy enough to dual purpose into a still.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          Remove tap and reuse for recirculation
          I haven't thought about this. Hmm. I considered a pipe dipping into the bottom of the urn (a solid pipe, like SS) and then connected to the hot pump (inline) to dispense water on top. Then when done, just tap off normally. Connecting the pump right on the tap is a great idea though. No idea why I didn't think of it.

Comment

Just wanted to share my progress so far. Still needing a grain basket and a tap that will draw the wort from lower in the kettle so I dont have to tilt the kettle and disturb the whirlpool trub in the middle.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
              Just wanted to share my progress so far. Still needing a grain basket and a tap that will draw the wort from lower in the kettle so I dont have to tilt the kettle and disturb the whirlpool trub in the middle.

Looks Good

How about just fitting a diptube to the inside of the existing tap? ... as long as you're drawing liquid from lower than the tap, it will empty everything up to the diptube opening.

Screenshot_4.jpg
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Looks fantastic.
                What pump are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                  Looks fantastic.
                  What pump are you using?
                  I got it from LED select on bid or buy. I have never been able to find it again after I bought it otherwise I would send a link. He did mention when we chatted that getting stock has been an issue with the virus going on. I paid R320 plus R65 postage I think it was

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Looks Good

How about just fitting a diptube to the inside of the existing tap? ... as long as you're drawing liquid from lower than the tap, it will empty everything up to the diptube opening.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2405[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks. That's 100% what the goal is but I cant quite find the right fitting. The thread in the inside of the urn isnt a normal diameter so the search is on going. I'm tempted to forge some copper pipe into place but that's unlikely to be water tight

Comment

Buy the next-bigger size (just-just bigger if you can), wrap the inner thread with plumbers tape and just squeeze it over. Watertight isn't THAT big of a thing. Mine's also fairly loosely fitted over the thread and it still sucks up quite a bit.

Not that it bothers me, I end up upturning the urn into a funnel anyway. If I'm going to leave trub in the kettle and trub in the fermenter, it's twice the loss. Sounds to me like trubble. Tee-hee.

Comment

Hi John,
                        Thanks for sharing, it looks great!
                        do you mind sharing the different components of your build?
                        Is that a 50l Logik urn? I just bought an urn and hope to follow in your footsteps and eventually build a urnfather...
                        Is that just a thermometer on top or have you set up to control the element?
                        Any challenges that you would like to share to help a newbie?
                        Did you put in a false bottom? I presume you are BIAB as you said you haven't got a basket yet?
                        The other urns builds I've seen have just used a copper drop pipe for the tap fixture, most have converted to a ball-valve too
                        Sorry for all the questions...

Comment

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4677...CAL_STOCK.html
                          Was it this one?
                          I got it from LED select on bid or buy. I have never been able to find it again after I bought it otherwise I would send a link. He did mention when we chatted that getting stock has been an issue with the virus going on. I paid R320 plus R65 postage I think it was

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                            That's the one! It's not amazing but it does the job. Check if he has the fittings to connect to a pipe. That ended up costing me R150 for brass gas fittings vs R40 from him. Also note that you need 12v (cellphone) or 24v (laptop) transformer. Luckily I had an old laptop charger to wire up. I found plastic cam lock fittings from Sam's irrigation for R100 Male and female. Not the right thing but time will tell when this 1st brew comes through

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                              Hi John,
                              Thanks for sharing, it looks great!
                              do you mind sharing the different components of your build?
                              Is that a 50l Logik urn? I just bought an urn and hope to follow in your footsteps and eventually build a urnfather...
                              Is that just a thermometer on top or have you set up to control the element?
                              Any challenges that you would like to share to help a newbie?
                              Did you put in a false bottom? I presume you are BIAB as you said you haven't got a basket yet?
                              The other urns builds I've seen have just used a copper drop pipe for the tap fixture, most have converted to a ball-valve too
                              Sorry for all the questions...
                              No worries. This is a long story so I added more info about the pump above. The tubing I got from a friend but its food grade silicone iv got prices of 160-220 per meter from my limited research.

Yes it is the 50l logik urn. The heating times and vigour of the boil improved alot when I added the camping mattress. I dont know how thick mine is but dont go top thin or it wont go under the sight glass. I got my urn second hand so the sight glass housing was broken off already.

Temp controler was from wish but I see they are available for R250 locally, I paid the same. I got the 240v (I think) to make sure it will run the urn instead of the 12v option. I had to wire this twice because the 1st time I used a wire too thin before upscaling to a 16amp wire, plug and connector. The thin wire got very hot hand testing it and would have made me very nervous. Get a bigger box than I have because it was a challenge to wire into a connector and it will help the controler not overheat. I took the lid off and the temp went away. I plan to use the controler for the mash steps and fermentation. I got a heat belt but a light bulb in a paint tin apparently is all you need. I paid R140 for my heat belt from wish.

I did my 1st brew with it all together this weekend and I am still using a bag so I put a big pot lid down for a false bottom. The bag did go against the inside of the tap and stop the flow which will be rectified when I get a dip tube or stainless grain basket.

Comment

Working...
                              X