No announcement yet.

modified electric urn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basterfield has some nice looking units in nice looking sizes ! 50 & 75 3kw unit quote enroute , wouldn't mind a 100l but am pretty sure i'd need new breakers at 9kw or 18kw.

last time i check the smartpid was still "out of stock" but a pid will do nicely with a thermowelll installed for the temp gauge
    incorporate a removable motorized mash mixer with rake arms
    a powerful flow invert-able capable pump to push / pull (or both) wort through mash bed
    grainbasket, false bottom,filter with a bunch of camlocks and it's done.

Comment

I requested a quote from them on 4 different units, including 75l ones, a 100l one and a 200l one. Would love to see what they come up with!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        Whats your total cost so far? Is that a 3kw element in the 50l? I'm keen to build one too

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
        Yep 3kW. Not sure on price, I'm just giving him guidance but he's placing the orders.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          Just my 2c. If you are at all electrically inclined please get a 220V relay and use the temp controller (stc1000) to switch the relay so the relay switches the run on and off. It's not from personal experience but a few guys mentioned that switching large loads (like an element) strains the internal relay of the stc. And once its fried you basically have an expensive thermometer left if it still functions at all.
          Yep, Decent SSR. IMHO STC-1000 isn't the way to go for this (but it does work). Resolution and accuracy i believe can waver through wider ranges (you calibrate at one set point) and they also "error out" if you try to use them during the boil (so you have to put a bypass switch and go full power for the whole boil). PID is much better (but much pricier too).

Comment

Makes sense to me. Does the STC temp controller work for you, or not really?

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
            I would describe my recent brewing style as rushed and unmeasured so it's hard to say yet. I have a 50l fermenter for the bigger batches so I never used to be focused on the output due to no restrictions

If I had to give a ball park 25 - 35 is my max that I have eyeballed but I have done higher gravity and added 10l of previously boiled water to make up to 40l (Only once before)

I haven't had the proper insulation before so I have been playing within my means to make sure I get somewhat of a vigorous boil. I have added a photo of my previous insulation which helped but wasn't amazing

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
            Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
            Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
              Makes sense to me. Does the STC temp controller work for you, or not really?
              One brew so far it went ok. I switched off the controler and plugged the urn into wall when the mash was done but after reading Cams comments, I might look to do something smoother like a bypass.

Comment

New member here! I've hi-jacked my dad's partial mash kit that stood abandoned in his garage and want to transition to all grain and a basic 50l urn based BIAB setup seems like a great starting point.

I've done as much reading as I can and it seems like there are a handful of different urns locally available that have been used from homebrewing - Logik, Caterpride, Basterfield. Is there a "best" urn amongst those, or are they all much of a muchn-ess knowing that they all need to modified to some extent and have electronics altered to achieve rolling boils?

I've looked around a bit and I can easily pick up either a Logik or a Caterpride (the Caterpride is R700 more expensive though). Is the Caterpride worth the premium? Can anyone provide feedback on the Basterfield urns?

I'd appreciate some advice to steer clear from any mistakes. Thanks!
                Rikusj
                Last edited by Rikusj; 14 June 2020, 11:33. Reason: formatting

Comment

@Rikusj

Welcome

Someone else will have to chip in on the Urn issue
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Logik 2500w vs Caterprides 3000w is a fair difference to justify the money. Insulation was needed on my logik to get a rolling boil outside, during winter but no wiring required. Cant speak for the caterpride in terms of wiring. It's a small thing but I also like the handles on the caterpride better than my logik.

Comment

Price is a difference, also some urns boil and keep boiling while others switch off when they start boiling and then switch back on when they need to. So it can have an effect on a rolling boil. If you look into the urn some have an element that you can see while others are under a screen/insulated not a mayor difference but might play a part in you preference. As long as it has at least 2500W element it will get the job done, with minor work in icy weather.

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                      New member here! I've hi-jacked my dad's partial mash kit that stood abandoned in his garage and want to transition to all grain and a basic 50l urn based BIAB setup seems like a great starting point.

I've done as much reading as I can and it seems like there are a handful of different urns locally available that have been used from homebrewing - Logik, Caterpride, Basterfield. Is there a "best" urn amongst those, or are they all much of a muchn-ess knowing that they all need to modified to some extent and have electronics altered to achieve rolling boils?

I've looked around a bit and I can easily pick up either a Logik or a Caterpride (the Caterpride is R700 more expensive though). Is the Caterpride worth the premium? Can anyone provide feedback on the Basterfield urns?

I'd appreciate some advice to steer clear from any mistakes. Thanks!

Comment

How thick are the side walls? Will I be able to weld on a frame for the insulation and controller?

Comment

Also if you could incorporate a still attachment for future use.....

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are very good at welding you should be able to. That said silver soldering is probably a better option.
                            How thick are the side walls? Will I be able to weld on a frame for the insulation and controller?

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                              Logik 2500w vs Caterprides 3000w is a fair difference to justify the money. Insulation was needed on my logik to get a rolling boil outside, during winter but no wiring required. Cant speak for the caterpride in terms of wiring. It's a small thing but I also like the handles on the caterpride better than my logik.

If anyone has actually seen the logic urn being available in recent times, please let me know. I was holding out for another special and then I think they go discontinued
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I think typically about 0.5mm. thin
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X