No announcement yet.

Bored and thirsty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure that you can regulate the temps easier in an urn as well? Will look around thanks!

If using a pot, do you have a floating thermometer in the pot to regulate temps?

Comment

Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
      If using a pot, do you have a floating thermometer in the pot to regulate temps?
      I set a timer to go and check the pot temp now and then with a handheld digital thermometer. Once it gets close, I watch it like a hawk. Works for me.
      Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I just take my stc1000 probe from my fridge and use for mash. For boil you dont need it. And with the lpg burner I use from 65C to boil is not very long so I keep watch. ( you dont want to boil a plastic covered digital thermometer if you can help it)

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, back up a little, i am completely confused now.... What I have picked up now is with your method (pre-boiling about 28l) you are making the wort from scratch ie. making a mash and that entire product will go into the fermentation vessel once cooled down.... (this will be all grain)

When they are using for instance 1.5kg superfine malt, this is an extract, and boiled only in 3-4l water and added to say 20l pre-boiled cold water into the fermentation vessel. (this will is not necessarily a kit brew, but some shortcuts taken?)
          If you're doing extract, you don't need a single pot. Just a kettle. Boil a kettle of water, dissolve the solids, mix in the syrup from the tin/pouch, top up with cold water, pitch yeast and done. Convenient for sure.

I am sure that you can regulate the temps easier in an urn as well? Will look around thanks!

I have a probe thermometer I use, with an alarm (like this: https://m.yuppiechef.com/ibili-meat-...ter-With-Probe). I set the alarm 2 or 3 degrees lower than my aimed temp, and when the alarm sounds I'll switch off the heat source, stir the water and check temp closely, and then adjust as needed. Works well. I also keep the probe in the mash during mashing and close the lid on whatever I mash on, with the screen outside so I can see the mash temp at all times. Works well enough for me.

EDIT: Whatever thermometer you use, make sure the part that goes into anything wet is actually waterproof. I mashed the shit out of my first probe thermometer and found out later it's not waterproof. How did I find out? Well when I stuck the probe into a nice thick rib-eye and it read the internal temperature as 55°C out of the fridge, I knew something was not lekker.
          Toxxyc
          Last edited by Toxxyc; 15 May 2020, 13:40.

Comment

Great stuff, thanks guys.

When I was making my first brew pineapple beer, I took a thermometer out of SWAMBO's medicine kit to check temps before adding yeast. It was a glass one with mercury.... stuck it into the pot and then heard the glass pop..

bloody hell, what a idiot. I also melted her soup spoon (plastic) when trying to sterilize in the microwave like she did with the baby bottles...

Comment

I too am known to piss my wife off :-)

Comment

This does seem to be a common thread among us. Having a fridge for myself and still putting beer in the house fridge ( when I'm fermenting in the fridge) is not considered good practice. It just means I need more kit!

Comment

Mate, my missus was entirely miffed at me for the entire duration of my brewing experience. The amount of eyebrow raising, sighing, eyerolling could've generated enough condemnation for most bachelors to run for the hills. The first kit cider I made for her barely made a difference, the second liquifruit batch half-way dismissed. As soon as I churned out a decent gin and craft tonic....all was forgiven. Aaaand thats how you get into distilling, in the in-between ginning sessions whiskey and rum can be made !

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                  groenspookasem
                  Banned
                  Last edited by groenspookasem; 15 May 2020, 23:49.

Comment

Vigorously taking notes...

My wife will be in heaven if I start making her gin....

But first I need to get the beer under control.

I decided against a starter kit, going to put together the necessities, build where possible, and go straight into all grain..

Will see if the brewshop is open on Monday.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

All my intentions this morning of finding a brewshop that is open were decisively dealt with.

We were in a very fortunate position during this time of still getting a salary, albeit a reduced one.

Our doors are open, but we are very quiet. With the result that no/very little money coming in, the bucket is starting to run on empty.

We were informed this morning that the funds available will cover 1 month's reduced salary. Most of our contracts, should they start up again say 1 June, is on a 60 day payment term. I will see if this terms can be re-negotiated. This means that this cash will only start flowing in September.

Anyway, without dragging this story out, I have decided that my brewing ambitions will have to be put on hold until such time that we have some stability again.

This "down time" will not go to waste, but will be spent on reading more and more. If I can keep up this past weeks rate of learning, I might be able to get a half decent brew out of my first batch.

To all those in a similar situation, good luck and buckle up, this is going to be one hell of a ride

Comment

Stay Strong & Stay Positive
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yea good luck man. It sounds like a bumpy ride. All the best

Comment

On the plus side, you may stay up again 'on the other side' with a whack load of book knowledge, which will be an ace starting point. Good luck man
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                            X